PDA

View Full Version : Low mileage 260 or 75 V8

SteveTD
25-10-2016, 01:48 PM
As the title - WANTED!
Yes I know I've already got one but.....
I have a plan!...

barry monk
25-10-2016, 02:38 PM
Go to Hursley Hill Garage - SMG Rover near Bristol with £29,995 & you can have a 08 Rover V8,Delivery Mileage. Get your Money OUT.

Jez Marsh
25-10-2016, 08:04 PM
Apparantly it already has a heated front screen !!

SteveTD
26-10-2016, 01:11 PM
Ha! Unless they drop the price of that to sub-£20k I don't think they'll ever sell it.

Interesting question though - what do we think a zero miles 260/75 V8 is worth?!....

David
26-10-2016, 01:21 PM
Ha! Unless they drop the price of that to sub-£20k I don't think they'll ever sell it.

Interesting question though - what do we think a zero miles 260/75 V8 is worth?!....
What is "worth"?
I suppose the price-level you can get consistently on the market-place. Sample of 1 doesn't help though.

But, think about what other even remotely comparable new vehicles you can get. Compare their prices with 29k, and maybe you've got your answer.

Edit: Or think about other 3-year old seriously desirable cars (low mileage) that have already had 75% depreciation you can buy with your 30k.
...or buy it and never use it and never make a penny on it, and never enjoy driving it (=stamp collecting).
...or buy it, use it, enjoy it, and watch it's value melt away like an ice-cream in the Sahara to around 10k, if your lucky!

Really a non-starter in my mind, even at 20k.

David

babrat
26-10-2016, 03:35 PM
Hi Steve
Does my MK1 260SE in Anthracite with 29.5k miles on it qualify as low mileage?? I have it posted for sale on this forum if you are interested

Rgds
Paul

SCP440
26-10-2016, 04:31 PM
The fact it has no sold after being for sale for quite a time must mean it is over priced in most people eyes.

I suppose the fact a nice V8 with lowish miles is worth about 10k must make this worth double that as it is undriven technically but as soon as the miles start going on it the value dives.

If he had to sell it I suppose 15k would see it sold quite quickly, what did the Turbo sell for recently with 0 miles? I think that fetched low teens so I suppose this should be 50% more maybe?

Steve

scoubix
26-10-2016, 07:09 PM
The fact it has no sold after being for sale for quite a time must mean it is over priced in most people eyes.

I suppose the fact a nice V8 with lowish miles is worth about 10k must make this worth double that as it is undriven technically but as soon as the miles start going on it the value dives.

If he had to sell it I suppose 15k would see it sold quite quickly, what did the Turbo sell for recently with 0 miles? I think that fetched low teens so I suppose this should be 50% more maybe?

Steve

That 1.8T with 3 miles sold for £12,300 at auction if I remember correctly. Which was over the initial estimate...
So yeah I reckon a 260 with delivery miles could easily sell at 15k.

David
26-10-2016, 07:27 PM
That 1.8T with 3 miles sold for £12,300 at auction if I remember correctly. Which was over the initial estimate...
So yeah I reckon a 260 with delivery miles could easily sell at 15k.
Yeh, but that's no way 29k+ pounds.
Like I say IF you buy something like that you have to keep at 0 miles and never use/enjoy it (stamp collecting) in the hope it MAY appreciate, or use it and watch the market value plummet.

For me the choice was easy; my 'Olive' cost 3.5k-ish pounds in super condition, FSH, BUT 200k miles.
So, I fix what needs to be (not a lot) and enjoy every single day I drive her! I don't think I'll ever lose money anyway.
With 30k pounds I could buy 8 Olives !!!!
I know; off-topic, sorry!

David

SteveTD
26-10-2016, 07:28 PM
Hi Steve
Does my MK1 260SE in Anthracite with 29.5k miles on it qualify as low mileage?? I have it posted for sale on this forum if you are interested

Rgds
Paul

Hi Paul - yes mate, we did talk over PM but yours is too expensive for me unfortunately - looks a beauty though!!

SteveTD
26-10-2016, 07:30 PM

Steve

I think you're probably spot on - I think I'd be willing to give 18 - 20k for a zero miler V8.

Jez Marsh
26-10-2016, 07:49 PM
The thing is there is kit to consider on a 12 year old vehicle with 20 miles.
Set of tyres, wiper blades, ac splitter valve as seat seal will have perished. expect some of the other rubber bits to have gone off. electrics may play up on dry joints. Waxoyl the underneath etc, Mice damage to sound proofing, bonnet lining, looms

Could be 2000 to get it on road plus a C service to replace fluids with the diff oil smelling enough to be fatal at 100m! so Steve's about right 20k + / -Sunroof seals, Lovely for a V8.

David
26-10-2016, 08:13 PM
Suck it and see, Jez, but I think 2000 is way over the top. Bigger problem is finding out exactly what, if anything, has suffered the ravages of the years.

David

SCP440
27-10-2016, 07:59 AM
Personally if I was going to buy it I would get the seller to do a full service and fluid change ( including the coolant) on it included in the price and once bought take it to the nearest tyre depot and fit some new tyres all round. By the time you have driven it home you will have found if anything needs doing and probably the drive will do it the world of good. If anything is that bad that you cant drive it there is always the RAC.

Steve

scooter
27-10-2016, 03:50 PM
Cars that are not used can develop problems with things such as dampers seals, brake seals, suspension rubbers and even electronics.

RattyB
26-11-2016, 05:54 PM
I went to have a look at this one back in Sept: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201507265518688?model=75&make=ROVER&maximum-mileage=50000&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&transmission=Automatic&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=price-asc&body-type=Saloon&postcode=po226bu&page=2

Sadly it's not a happy bunny. It does have a low mileage of 33k, but that's where the good news ends. Apart from it being a Cat D write off, the accident repairs are poor and very obvious. The service history isn't great either. All in all I would say a fair price for it would be £2K as a donor car. The garage has had it for over a year to my certain knowledge. I'm almost tempted to go back, and stick in a Hail Mary offer just to take it off their hands for the parts alone.

SCP440
26-11-2016, 06:21 PM
I thought all V8 Rover 75's came with Satnav?

Steve

3disco
26-11-2016, 07:53 PM
Good luck with offering £2000 for it.

RattyB
26-11-2016, 08:18 PM
Good luck with offering £2000 for it.

I can't really see it being worth any more that realistically. You'd have to spend a fortune putting the bodywork right, then there's the lack of service history (a big alarm bell with the V8), followed up by the Cat D marker, which essentially cuts its value in half by default and makes it a royal pain to get insurance for. They've had it for so long I'm sure they'd be pleased to see the back of it.

3disco
26-11-2016, 09:15 PM
I can't really see it being worth any more that realistically. You'd have to spend a fortune putting the bodywork right, then there's the lack of service history (a big alarm bell with the V8), followed up by the Cat D marker, which essentially cuts its value in half by default and makes it a royal pain to get insurance for. They've had it for so long I'm sure they'd be pleased to see the back of it.
Well worth putting an offer in and prove me wrong,would not be the first time!

AndyG
26-11-2016, 09:33 PM
Well worth putting an offer in and prove me wrong,would not be the first time!

Get a few mates to go in and offer scrap price (£500?) :cool:

SCP440
26-11-2016, 10:27 PM

As much as I agree with you my guess is they paid more than for it thinking it would go quite quickly due to it being rareish. I am sure they will take an offer after having it in stock so long but I reckon half what it is up for is more realistic.

As a ''buy the way'' where was the damage?

Steve

RattyB
27-11-2016, 10:27 AM
Front and rear. You could see paint mottling and filler lines under the paint in places. The front grille looked like it was being help together by the power of prayer. I seem to remember the service history didn't start until around 29,000 miles - enough to make any sane person walk away. When I went to look at it, they had taken a £500 deposit from someone about 6 weeks prior to me turning up, and they were happy to sell despite this. Such a shame, it could have been a lovely motor given the mileage.