PDA

View Full Version : Draining, flushing and changing the coolant

RattyB
24-10-2016, 09:49 AM
On the Rover 75 V8, what is the general procedure for draining and changing the coolant on my car? Having only ever done this job on classic cars I'm somewhat at odds with how to do it on a modern car.

Ta in advance.

AndyG
24-10-2016, 06:02 PM
If you have the Mustang Manual (Haynes) or a forum it is the same procedure.

torque2me
31-10-2016, 04:02 PM
On the Rover 75 V8, what is the general procedure for draining and changing the coolant on my car? Having only ever done this job on classic cars I'm somewhat at odds with how to do it on a modern car.

Ta in advance.

As far as I am aware, not 100% of the liquid is drained. Might be better to flush with water after using the flushing compound. At least the water left in the system will mix with the system fill.

Kev

AndyG
31-10-2016, 07:44 PM
As far as I am aware, not 100% of the liquid is drained. Might be better to flush with water after using the flushing compound. At least the water left in the system will mix with the system fill. Kev

That is another thing that delays me in installing the Evans stuff. :)

David
31-10-2016, 07:59 PM
That is another thing that delays me in installing the Evans stuff. :)

I may be ol' fashioned, but why bother anyway, Andy?
My Olive has over 210k miles on the clock living on OATs and water. No probs. ;)

... is Evans a bit Marie Antoinette?

David

SJR
31-10-2016, 08:23 PM
The Evans waterless coolant doesn't become pressurised, so there should be no more blown radiators.

SJR

AndyG
31-10-2016, 08:39 PM
I had to look up Marie Antoinette profligate (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spendthrift), promiscuous," interesting Lady ;)

Yes, but I do like the idea of no pressure in the system.

SCP440
31-10-2016, 09:37 PM
It is not a cheap option, I looked into it at a Classic car show last year. The rep was keen to tell me all about it and explained you have to use a stabiliser or similar once the cooling system has been drained. He also reckoned it was a good idea to replace all the hoses as any leaked become costly.

He reckoned by the time I had bought the stabiliser and coolant I would be looking at over £275 for my Jensen.

Steve

scooter
01-11-2016, 09:31 AM
The Evans waterless coolant doesn't become pressurised, so there should be no more blown radiators.

SJR

Would think there must be some pressure due to the coolant heating up but it may be less than OAT mix. I would stick with OAT mix as it can be topped up easily if you ever have a problem .