PDA

View Full Version : ZT-260 vs MG SV

YorksMG2016
07-08-2016, 08:58 PM
Dear All

How does the 4.6 litre Mustang engine fitted to the SV-R, differ from the unit fitted to the ZT-260? (the former seems to have been more powerful even in non-supercharged form)
I have also read that a 5-litre v8 engine was fitted/planned to be fitted to the SV?

Thanks

Andrew

AndyG
07-08-2016, 09:38 PM
There are a couple of SV/SVR forums.
http://forum.svra.org.uk/index.php
http://www.mgsv-club.com/forums/

scooter
08-08-2016, 09:15 AM
The SVR engine was a 5 ltr quad cam engine supplied by Sean Hyland. I rebuilt all of them to cure a valve seat problem. The main difference was they had much better piston/conrods modified cylinder heads with high performance cams. The engines are much stronger and are about 65hp more than the standard SV unit. There were also a few 2 valve units the same as the ZT260 but fitted with Rouch blowers.

YorksMG2016
08-08-2016, 10:40 AM
Thanks Scooter, sounds like that SVR engine was a beast!

Andrew

scooter
09-08-2016, 09:22 AM
The engine was strong enough to go to 800+hp

Jez Marsh
09-08-2016, 01:36 PM
Per cylinder of course !!! ��

YorksMG2016
20-08-2016, 06:47 PM
There have been a few negative comments over on the Rover 75/ZT forum recently about the v8 engined cars, but one comment was that MGR fitted the wrong Mustang engine to the car.
I wonder if the 4.6 litre engine was the only one that MGR could get off Ford for a reasonable price?
If a 260 owner had deep enough pockets I guess they could source and fit the 5 litre v8 engine?

Andrew

Nich
20-08-2016, 07:20 PM
There have been a few negative comments over on the Rover 75/ZT forum recently about the v8 engined cars, but one comment was that MGR fitted the wrong Mustang engine to the car.
I wonder if the 4.6 litre engine was the only one that MGR could get off Ford for a reasonable price?
If a 260 owner had deep enough pockets I guess they could source and fit the 5 litre v8 engine?

Andrew
There are always negative comments about our cars on the OC site and most of those who comment seem to know so much more than MGR about the development of our cars. I don't bother visiting now, got fed up with the negative comments and the stupidity of some of the posters.

Nich.

AndyG
20-08-2016, 07:26 PM
Andrew

The Quad Cam engine needs a rebuilding of the bulkhead. Not worth the effort IMHO.

David
20-08-2016, 07:34 PM

Andrew
I guess that's a bit academic. Not just price I imagine. It had to be fit-able, powerful "enough" and reliable.

The modular 4.6 fits that bill and is strong as an ox. Powered not only Mustangs but Crown Victoria's, cop-cars, taxis and pickups. In the US 400k miles is common and over 1/2 million miles is not unheard off. Mine is over 210k miles and still going strong; sweet as a nut.

... wrong choice? Not in my book. I'm happy as Larry with my 'Olive'. Aren't you with yours?

David

YorksMG2016
21-08-2016, 06:23 AM
Hi David

I don't have one (yet....), we'll see what 2017 brings
Andrew

Les4048
21-08-2016, 12:30 PM
There are always negative comments about our cars on the OC site and most of those who comment seem to know so much more than MGR about the development of our cars. I don't bother visiting now, got fed up with the negative comments and the stupidity of some of the posters.

Nich.

i still visit and put my tuppence worth in on the idiotic posts but the term sowing seeds on stony ground springs to mind. It's the same when they rip any car apart because of the price someone has set for a selling price, jeez you'd think they hated the cars. I was chastised once for daring to ask if they were true enthusiasts and I also mentioned the Tourers usually command an extra £1,000, sacrilege indeed lol

David
21-08-2016, 12:38 PM
i still visit and put my tuppence worth in on the idiotic posts but the term sowing seeds on stony ground springs to mind. It's the same when they rip any car apart because of the price someone has set for a selling price, jeez you'd think they hated the cars. I was chastised once for daring to ask if they were true enthusiasts and I also mentioned the Tourers usually command an extra £1,000, sacrilege indeed lol

Well said, Les!

David

Jez Marsh
21-08-2016, 12:44 PM
With any kind of bigotry reason is just a waste of good breath. Enjoy your own beast. �� how many bhp the mga or B ?��
Different strokes as they say.

David
21-08-2016, 12:50 PM
With any kind of bigotry reason is just a waste of good breath. Enjoy your own beast. �� how many bhp the mga or B ?��
Different strokes as they say.

... not to mention MG 1100 owners! (blancmange in two-tone paint job and designer-rust).
Ooops! Does that make me a bigot, Jez? :~
Still miss my MGC, even though the truck didn't. Sorry, :offt

David

AndyG
21-08-2016, 03:48 PM
Even VHButler Fifth Gear (who drove the car for a couple of hours) dissed our cars. :ash

It takes a couple of weeks/months to get the full feel of the beautifully designed machine :D

Jez Marsh
21-08-2016, 09:50 PM
David
You know well your not a bigot and you and I have both come across the B/C owners who look down their noses at others who don't bow down to those drivers. I've had bmc minis and 1100s so u cant lob too many bricks.

Les4048
21-08-2016, 09:52 PM
David
You know well your not a bigot and you and I have both come across the B/C owners who look down their noses at others who don't bow down to those drivers. I've had bmc minis and 1100s so u cant lob too many bricks.

You'll have to extend that to TF and F owners, come across them a few times

gignwah11
22-08-2016, 02:41 PM
As I was there in the development with prodrive it's easy all the other engine variants modified structural front end crash components which would of cost an earth to revalidate so it never happened they did how ever towards the end start lanning the super charged version for production but did not get far :)

The other forum gas gone soar recently especially on toaf software which I have working and saves a trip to the t4 chaps for simple changes to the car

James C
22-08-2016, 05:42 PM
Possibly getting a bit off on a tangent here, but what's TOAF like for our cars? I bought the dongle to use it, but never got around to trying it.

As I was there in the development with prodrive it's easy all the other engine variants modified structural front end crash components which would of cost an earth to revalidate so it never happened they did how ever towards the end start lanning the super charged version for production but did not get far :)

The other forum gas gone soar recently especially on toaf software which I have working and saves a trip to the t4 chaps for simple changes to the car

gignwah11
22-08-2016, 09:24 PM
Its good just get a cheap vag lead and solder 7 and 8 together and you will get it working with the bcu but not the engine I spent hours reading up on it and it requires effort and patience that's all

Scarlet Fever
30-09-2016, 03:33 PM
You'll have to extend that to TF and F owners, come across them a few times

Some of us V8 owners have Fs or TFs too - we know the score (unlike most) and know a great car when we see one! :o Don't listen to the idiots (sadly there are lots of these).