PDA

View Full Version : Out of hibernation

Bosworth
26-05-2016, 03:20 PM
Hi everyone;

After several years slumbering I have decided to awaken the old girl. However, she is a heavy sleeper, one rear wheel is seized and she won't start. There is obviously plenty of petrol as after a few seconds cranking you can smell it, but not even a hint of starting, does anyone have any clues where I should start looking? I'll worry about the sticking wheel later. I have a feeling this will be the first of many requests for help and advice;)

ColinE
26-05-2016, 03:29 PM
Fuel will be out of date for a start, lasts about 6 months

AndyG
26-05-2016, 04:44 PM
Whip out plugs, Clean and re-fit after putting a bit of fresh fuel [5ml?] in the holes.

Depending on amount of fuel in tank, If almost empty? add 20 litres or more.
If almost full. remove rear seat, pump and filter, and siphon old fuel out.
Re fit bits and add new fuel. Adding an Injector cleaner is a good idea generally
(I would use the old fuel a bit at a time or use it to light a bonfire??? not BBQ!)

Check all fluids. (not necessary to replace after only a couple of years)

If tires have been stationary they may have flat spots, (check for cracks).
After a few journeys they should warm up and re set themselves.

Apply brakes gently (a few times) when running to clean surfaces.

Check for mice nests. (I keep mice traps in my garage and one inside the car, (I have caught a baby one [in garage] so far :o)

Bosworth
26-05-2016, 06:08 PM
The fuel tank was virtually empty so I did put a couple of gallons fresh in, I changed the plugs too, and tried using some easy start, I will pull them out again at the weekend and check for a spark. No little friends sleeping in there fortunately.

zt954
27-05-2016, 06:11 AM
If there was fuel in the system it's likely to have gummed up your injectors and fuel pump worth checking

ColinE
27-05-2016, 06:26 AM
Also 2 gallons may not be enough fuel

Dominic22
27-05-2016, 08:36 AM
Where are you based?

Bosworth
27-05-2016, 12:14 PM
I am based in Carmarthen. The fuel is definitely getting through, if you stand at the back of the car you can really smell it in the exhausts. I would find it odd if all the coil packs had failed at once, what controls them and how do I check them?

AndyG
27-05-2016, 12:30 PM
Adding an Injector cleaner is a good idea generally, (added to list)

Richb
27-05-2016, 01:22 PM
If it's not trying to fire on easy start then I would check you're getting a spark.

SCP440
27-05-2016, 05:13 PM
Remove a couple of plugs and see if they are wet with petrol.

If they are take them all out and turn the engine over with your foot on the floor so to put plenty of air through the engine.

Refit them and try to start it again, a quick squirt of Easy Start before you turn it over could help.

If you have a plug in code reader you could see if you are getting an RPM when you turn the starter, it will only be 100 to 200rpm but it will tell you if the Crank Position Sensor is working.

SJR
06-06-2016, 11:37 AM
I was told that you get the greatest fuel/petrol smell with a lean fuel/air mix. My Mustang runs lean at idle and smells really rich.

SJR

Richb
06-06-2016, 05:15 PM
A lean mixture can sometimes cause poor combustion and result in unburnt fuel in the exhaust. I have seen this on a wideband O2 sensor where the gauge pegged full rich at the time it happened (didn't notice the rich smell though).