PDA

View Full Version : Poor starting + squeak

Mgrick
13-02-2016, 07:31 PM
My new 260 , seems to suffer to bad starting , it turns over fine . You'll crank it over for 5-10 secs and it'll cough and splutter them start and run fine .
Any ideas what could be wrong ?
Also I have a sqeak coming from the front of the engine (belts or pulleys ?)it's quiet and does not get any louder when you Rev or drive the car ?
also are the front suspension strut tops the same as normal zt 's ? My front drivers side is creaking

thanks for any help
cheers

AndyG
13-02-2016, 07:39 PM
Hopefully you will get access to the info, there are many threads that will answer these questions. (sorry, too much to cut and paste)

Good luck.

Mgrick
13-02-2016, 08:00 PM
I have sent my questionnaire off to go green :)

AndyG
13-02-2016, 08:02 PM
Droitwich. close to Nick at Austin's Garage Burton on Trent. He will fix it.

Worth a visit to check the car over ;)

Jez Marsh
13-02-2016, 09:26 PM
Rick
Mgoc membership gets you free inspection bit Austin's are closer.
good luck

Nich
13-02-2016, 11:22 PM
Might be worth a quick look at post #15 aand #16 here Rick:

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?11886-The-screech-is-back-%28&highlight=pulleys

Nich.

David
14-02-2016, 09:05 AM
Droitwich. close to Nick at Austin's Garage Burton on Trent. He will fix it.

Worth a visit to check the car over ;)

Second that! Just got back from Nick who spent most of the day on my 'Olive' and gave me a complete blow-by-blow account of the good-bad-and-ugly and fixed whatever he could in the time frame. Excellent investment.

Thanks to Nick! David

David
14-02-2016, 11:58 AM
also are the front suspension strut tops the same as normal zt 's ? My front drivers side is creaking

thanks for any help
cheers

Yes. Bearings are available as a separate items, but whilst its off, it may be a good idea to do both, with (preferably) or without the big rubber bits.

David

LeRoiDeLaRue
04-03-2016, 04:19 PM
Mine has developed this issue, although no squeak, happily.

For some months now I havent been using it daily, just once or twice a week. Starts fine, if it's first drive of the day, firing up within a few seconds of turning over.

However, even if I turn off and turn on again without driving, it can take much longer to fire up. Same if I have driven any distance and turn off, when I start it again it can take much longer and does need a bit of throttle.

Changed plugs last week - I think they had been in for many miles by the look of them. They were NGK iridium and had a sooty debris plus the electrodes were reddish coloured. Replaced with NGK Platinum. Noticeably better running, accelerates more sharply than with old plugs in. Put injector cleaner in also and took for round trip of 50 odd miles. Same symptoms persist.

Anyone any thoughts as to what might be happening?

LeRoiDeLaRue
05-03-2016, 12:13 PM
do I just need to drive it more?

MAF sensor?

Nich
05-03-2016, 12:42 PM
If it is just a starting issue then it could be fuel pressure and/or MAF. If new plugs have made a difference then it's probably not going to be electrical. Could be a split hose somewhere.

Nich.

LeRoiDeLaRue
07-03-2016, 07:43 PM
Cheers Nich
Car runs superb, no probs with fuelling when driving / overtaking etc. I might ask the mechanic to clean the MAF next time I am in.
Did a nice 200 mile round trip today and no problems when starting a a few times so maybe there were a few cobwebs :-)

LeRoiDeLaRue
20-07-2016, 07:33 AM
Ongoing .... starts first time each time every morning.
But whenever driven even a short distance, restarting needs plenty of throttle, it turs over for ages sometimes.
New plugs at 54k didnt solve it
The MG mech cleaned the MAF yesterday, said it looked clean enough prior anyway.
Never a problem with fuel supply when running, no significant misfire noticed, no engine warning light or fault codes.
He mentioned replacing the (edit) Coolant Temperature Sensor as the next step
Any hints lads?

SCP440
20-07-2016, 08:11 AM
How about a new set of MSD coils? I fitted a set to mine after one failed at 60k and it has transformed the way it starts. I paid under £150 for a full set delivered from I think Amazonfrom the US but before the Brexit Vote.

Mine is often shunted off the drive to get another car out and always starts as it should.

LeRoiDeLaRue
20-07-2016, 09:07 AM
Cheers SCP, If others agree to try a new CTS first I will go for it as it is only £35 but my mech cant get hold of one at the mo

scooter
21-07-2016, 05:56 PM
Think we have them in stock