PDA

View Full Version : Cutting out

jdtp93
29-12-2015, 06:57 PM
Hi all,

Have been having an issue with my 260 over the past few days. I can be driving along or sat in traffic and the engine will suddenly die without any warning. It will always fire back up immediately and carry on as if nothing has happned. On a few occasions the engine has stopped accelerating at approximately 4.5k rpm but after letting off the accelerator for a second it accelerates as normal.

Could these issues be related and does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? No dash warning lights or misfires etc.

Cheers

Jez Marsh
29-12-2015, 07:44 PM
You have the newer P clip on your fuel pump filter joint?

jdtp93
29-12-2015, 07:58 PM
I've never had it put on, is there a way to tell between new and old?

colintf
29-12-2015, 08:17 PM
I've never had it put on, is there a way to tell between new and old?

The new ones are Orange I believe :cool:

AndyG
29-12-2015, 09:23 PM
Hot "Fuel Rail" ??

Nich
29-12-2015, 10:14 PM
A number of things to check.

Fuel pump separation if the clip hasn't been fitted is the obvious culprit to start with. Info in the INDEX.

Nich.

re-tread
29-12-2015, 10:57 PM
It has done it on mine probably 3 times during my ownership the last time being in August. Just pulled up at a roundabout and the engine stopped. I restarted it without any issue. The first time it did it was a few years ago while driving on the M1. The engine just cut out for about a second then fired up again on it's own.

Fuel clip fitted on mine and no error codes after each occasion. To be honest I had forgotten about it doing it until I saw your post.

ksilver
30-12-2015, 07:48 AM
The stopped accelerating part sounds like a dirty maf.

scooter
30-12-2015, 09:45 AM
Could be an air leak after the MAF

David
30-12-2015, 10:25 AM
Same problem I had but it eventually started giving weak-mixture warnings and misfiring. In my case it was the PCV valve and pipe/hose. The padded plastic pipe goes from the throttle body to the PCV valve on the right-hand rocker cover. Both of the rubber elbows at the ends of the pipe were rotted through but on the under-side so not immediately visible. The PCV valve was also sticking which would pass too much air if stuck open, but the main problem was the leaking at the rubber elbows I think. Got the bits easily enough and the problem was solved. The PCV valve is a "replace"- item on the service schedule at 90K miles, incidentally.

Worth a check maybe?

David