PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Replacement and Air Con, Clutch / Gearbox, Suspension Strut Advice... thanks!

PenntorrRid
14-10-2015, 12:05 PM
Hello,

On Monday I purchased a MK1 ZT 260 and please need some help with the following?

- Sat Nav / Television / Stereo ? whilst the screen and head unit work, it appears the boot has got wet at some point in the past resulting in the stereo not being able to tune to any FM stations, Sat Nav drive not powering up and CD changer not working properly. I have considered remedying by repairing / replacing the original bits; however, as the original Sat Nav is now very out of date and the Television does not receive a digital signal, I am please looking for some advice on whether to replace the head unit with a modern ?all singing? unit (Sat Nav, DVD, Digital TV, CD, Bluetooth, etc.) and which one is best (don?t really want to spend loads, but want something fairly decent)?

- The Air Conditioning is not working (I knew this before I purchased the car). The Air Conditioning / Blower controls work fine; however, when switching the Air Conditioning on (selecting Auto or Econ) then the fans go quiet and nothing comes out of the vents. What do I need?

- There is a ?clicking? noise when putting the car under power (from coasting) in fifth gear. It sounds like an engine mount, but is only really present when in fifth gear. In addition, a similar noise is present when aggressively engaging and releasing the clutch (which is fairly heavy) when stationary? this maybe the release baring, but not sure why it is only obviously apparent in fifth gear?

- Finally, I am getting a bit of a creaking sound from the n/s/f wheel / suspension when turning the wheels (very apparent when stationary). The car will need a replacement strut in the not too distant future? any ideas where to source a decent part?

Thanks in advance for any advice on the above.

Andy

Dominic22
14-10-2015, 12:30 PM
Sorry for the quick message, Get your details back to Tim and he will make you a full member. In there is most answers and loads of reading.....

There is a group buy at the moment for Front and Rear Shock absorbers being made by Bilstein for us.

colintf
14-10-2015, 12:33 PM
Hi and welcome - Dominic's advice is good advice :thumb

Richb
14-10-2015, 04:48 PM
Welcome Andy,

Sat Nav: Depends if you want to keep it original or go for something more modern. All of the highline parts are readily available cheaply if you want to try replacing the components like for like. Sounds like your tuner is fried unless its just the ariel lead come off the bottom. Sat nav drives can be opened up and pcb's cleaned and sometimes come back to life. Or go for one of Radioguy's double din units which to be fair look very oem. There may be some wiring mods to connect into the highline loom, but haven't done that myself.

Aircon: Not sure of this one. You mean the blower fan goes quiet? Even when the temperature is set to Lo?

Clicking: Is it a single click on acceleration or a continual one? These cars have a bit of drivetrain clunk as standard.

Clunks when turning: Likely strut top bearing. Cheap to replace, easy to do it if/when you replace the shocks.

Rich.

David
14-10-2015, 05:07 PM
Hi. I agree about the "creaking" and clunking. There is a crude bearing ring under the big rubber bush atop the front struts. They are separately available quite cheaply, but since you have to get the shocker / spring off to replace it is probably wise to replace both the bush and bearing (which normally comes with the kit) at the same time. I'm pretty sure the top mounts are the same as regular 75's / ZT's, at least Rimmers show the same part number, and are available as aftermarket (Fleebay) or originals, I believe. Not TOO much difference in price. If you are changing the struts then it makes good sense to change the top mountings anyway in view of the work involved, as advised by others.

David

Jez Marsh
14-10-2015, 09:39 PM
welcome Andy
Photos and Vin number?

PenntorrRid
15-10-2015, 12:02 AM
My car is build number 156. Photos to follow, but I have attached one to my profile.