PDA

View Full Version : Front Shocs for MG ZT-T SE V8 260 2004

Robert Smart
20-07-2015, 08:21 AM
Does anyone know where I can get shocs for my ZT-T SE V8 260 (front passenger and driver)? I seem to have exhausted all leads. Does anyone know who manufactured these? I wondered whether they may have been BMW?

Many thanks,

Bob Smart

ColinE
20-07-2015, 10:06 AM
They are Bilstein, who no longer make them, we are working on the possibility of getting some made, send your questionnaire back to Tim, you'll go green, and get access to the full site

ksilver
20-07-2015, 11:03 AM
Bilstein (Leicester?) will refurb them, but that may depend on their overall condition, I think you need to get them redone externally before sending them in.

Zt pony
20-07-2015, 02:09 PM
.. it's the bloody... R u s t ( especially the spring cup holder ) thats the big problem, the internal refurb's no trouble !

Bilstein (Leicester?) will refurb them, but that may depend on their overall condition, I think you need to get them redone externally before sending them in.

AndyG
20-07-2015, 03:44 PM
.. it's the bloody... R u s t ( especially the spring cup holder ) thats the big problem, the internal refurb's no trouble !

Having welded many different stuff,it would not be difficult to make up a cup to the correct dimensions (re-work another cup to fit) It may not be low cost or pretty??? but it's only metal :p

Zt pony
20-07-2015, 06:09 PM
Only thing is
would this be possible if cases fairly rusty ?

wonder ..

if bilstein has any existing damper cases..which match up with the front 260 damper cases ?

if so..would be cheaper to buy them , and then get old internals refurbed at bilstein uk ( once refurbed they are as good as new ! )

wonder if they checked/ thought of this possibilty ?
if they found they did have substitute cases ..perhaps bilstein uk would then buy the cases in from bilstein germany, and then offer us new none oem, but same, or suitable cases..with our own individual internals refurbished ( which we would mail to them, for them to fit them in these cases and do the refurb !! )
would be a whole lot cheaper !

for a complete renewal of all suspension..
if you add up front, rear dampers ( rimmers rears + suggested approx price new bilstein fronts ) plus springs ..front/rear oem eibachs from rimmers...bloody hell, it ain't cheap !!!!

would coil overs made up ..uk, or far east ..work out cheaper / easier/ better ??
bushes would then be no problem as well

one thing that puts me off whopping out big bucks for the oem bilstein, eibach set up....they are ...s t i l l..going to ..r u s t
again..!!!!
powder coating on springs..encourages rust...the sheffield spring i had made up once ( dual rate one offs..for a marcos coupe ) were.... bare metal ..sheffield cold wound coil spring ..oiled... !!
the manufacturers told me that it was the best way to not have them powder coated..to keep rust at bay...on springs..providing you ensured that you oiled em up regularily

Having welded many different stuff,it would not be difficult to make up a cup to the correct dimensions (re-work another cup to fit) It may not be low cost or pretty??? but it's only metal :p

AndyG
20-07-2015, 07:00 PM
............. coil overs .........

I like the idea of Coil Overs ;)

Dominic22
20-07-2015, 07:18 PM
I am no expert on Coilovers but I thought this was a good explanation for the uninitiated https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmr14nCivZA

AndyG
20-07-2015, 11:51 PM
I am no expert on Coilovers but I thought this was a good explanation for the uninitiated https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmr14nCivZA

Thanks, Very good set of videos. :toast