PDA

View Full Version : key not working

LeRoiDeLaRue
19-06-2015, 07:12 PM
Hi
Chap in France I have just sold my car to - he reports the spare key will start car but will not operate locks etc when button is pressed. Has changed battery, no joy, and asks if it needs programming. I honestly cant recall whether I tested it after I bought the car last year, I think I did and if I did then it will have worked at the time and I had not been concerned or minded to check it before I drove the car to France earlier this week.

Any tips for reprogramming or what options does he have for repair or replacement? He has the codes with the docs.

Cheers lads

Herman
19-06-2015, 07:42 PM
Hi
Chap in France I have just sold my car to - he reports the spare key will start car but will not operate locks etc when button is pressed. Has changed battery, no joy, and asks if it needs programming. I honestly cant recall whether I tested it after I bought the car last year, I think I did and if I did then it will have worked at the time and I had not been concerned or minded to check it before I drove the car to France earlier this week.

Any tips for reprogramming or what options does he have for repair or replacement? He has the codes with the docs.

Cheers lads

Maybe the old Rover trick of pushing the close button repeatedly in short succession does the job

LeRoiDeLaRue
19-06-2015, 08:36 PM
ta mate, have passed it on

The Gas Man
19-06-2015, 09:40 PM
ta mate, have passed it on

Hi to you all, new 260 owner here (Black Pearl)! Delighted with the car, and I'd like to thank LeRoiDeLaRue for delivering the car to me in France in such a well cared for condition.

I have tried the 4 quick 'actuations' with no success, the light is working.

Hope to contribute in a big way to the forum in the future, when I get time to play with the car. I've had a ZT CDTI for the last 7 years, and put over 100k on it myself, still keeping it for winter use!

Regards

The Gas Man

Nich
19-06-2015, 10:06 PM
Welcome along Paul. Lots of info on here, have to give the key issue some thought.

Nich.

eurorover
21-06-2015, 07:59 AM
If the remote is opening the door then the problem is with the transponder chip. It is a BMW EWS3 system so you should be able to find a programmer in France to do it.

The Gas Man
21-06-2015, 10:40 PM
Hi Eurorover. The key/fob is starting the car, but not opperating the central locking!

LeRoiDeLaRue
22-06-2015, 11:00 AM
Paul, the key will lock and unlock the doors by turning the key when in driver's side lock though I trust? That way it will still be locked and the basic alarm will be activated, I would hope, until you can get it reprogrammed ...

Nich
22-06-2015, 11:12 AM
If I am understanding this correctly you have two keys, one locks and unlocks the car using the remote and also manually and will also start the car. The second or spare will start the car and locks and unlocks the car manually but has no remote activation.

If that is the case then I would have thought that the transponder chip is OK in both keys otherwise if it was faulty then it would not allow the car to start at all, the signal it emits to the ignition system must be being recognised. It sounds more like the wireless transmitter in the spare may be faulty, have you tried the usual, remove the battery for 20 minutes to try and reset it otherwise it's repair or replace unless anyone has any other ideas.

Nich.

The Gas Man
22-06-2015, 11:49 AM
Hi Nich.

Yes you are correct, I will try the battery removal/20mins and report back.

Thank you for your help.

Paul

The Gas Man
22-06-2015, 11:51 AM
Paul, the key will lock and unlock the doors by turning the key when in driver's side lock though I trust? That way it will still be locked and the basic alarm will be activated, I would hope, until you can get it reprogrammed ...

Hi Jim. Yes the key works in the lock.

Paul

eurorover
22-06-2015, 02:00 PM
In That case do you have the barcode for the key?
if not I can regenerate a new barcode and you should be able to get it reprogrammed to the car

The Gas Man
22-06-2015, 09:30 PM
Hi Eurorover.

I have the Key Code Card, I have also done the 20min reset to no avail!

eurorover
22-06-2015, 10:07 PM
You should have 2 sets of bar codes per key. Open the fob up and take a pic of the label inside i will generate u a new code

The Gas Man
23-06-2015, 09:41 PM
Hi eurorover.

Pic as requested, thanks for your help.

Paul

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7579&stc=1

eurorover
25-06-2015, 12:38 AM
PM sent with bar codes

Nich
25-06-2015, 08:14 AM
Hi eurorover.

Pic as requested, thanks for your help.

Paul

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7579&stc=1

I must say (slightly off topic) that picture looks very professional Paul........................:~

Nich.