PDA

View Full Version : tyre

Jez Marsh
28-05-2015, 12:16 AM
Had a garage tell me running 11 year old tyres on a 260 was no problem if tread and side walls look OK. Anyone fancy doing that?

AndyG
28-05-2015, 12:21 AM
Had a garage tell me running 11 year old tyres on a 260 was no problem if tread and side walls look OK. Anyone fancy doing that?

Rubber if stored/treated correctly it will last for years.

Sunlight is a killer.

Zt pony
28-05-2015, 12:33 AM
:)Andy, just because that container load of condoms you bought years ago, which you stored and use "correctly" are still okay to use, the same might not apply to 11 year old tyres ! :ash

Rubber if stored/treated correctly it will last for years.

Sunlight is a killer.

Herman
28-05-2015, 12:37 AM
:)Andy, just because that container load of condoms you bought years ago, which you stored and use "correctly" are still okay to use, the same might not apply to 11 year old tyres ! :ash

Bear in mind that the owner of said condoms is also years older, so wear may not be a problem :)

Anyway, have a read here http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/how-old-and-dangerous-are-your-tires.html

jenksman
28-05-2015, 09:04 AM
Hi
had a similar situation with an MG RV8. Car was not used a lot and my tyres were at least 13 years old.
Article in Enjoying MG recommended replacing tyres of this age. Local garage said not necessary.
Obviously I was in a quandary, set of tyres cost a tad under £500.00
Anyway I bit the bullet and bought a new set. Close inspection of the old tyres re-inforced the recommendation
The tyre walls were a maze of tiny cracks. So the operative words in your email above "if tread and side walls look OK"
Mine did on cursory inspection, but up close they looked dangerous, be warned
Dave

Jez Marsh
28-05-2015, 01:58 PM
Thanks Dave a good Heads up. As to the other guys I'd never tried putting a condom around a 18 inch wheel, although :-)

AndyG
28-05-2015, 06:39 PM
Bert Munrow broke the world speed record on a motorcycle with 30 year old tires :)

jenksman
28-05-2015, 09:13 PM
Bert Munrow broke the world speed record on a motorcycle with 30 year old tires :)
Good old Burt, but the Monros were a strange family
Sorry what's your point?
Dave