PDA

View Full Version : Ticking noise?

stevestrat
16-01-2015, 05:07 PM
I've had my 260 a couple of days, delighted with it however, the last couple of days there has been an intermittent rapid ticking noise appeared whilst moving but only in the afternoon, nothing in the mornings? It seems to be coming from behind me and doesn't seem to alter with either road or engine speed. Any suggestions?

AndyG
16-01-2015, 05:17 PM
I've had my 260 a couple of days, delighted with it however, the last couple of days there has been an intermittent rapid ticking noise appeared whilst moving but only in the afternoon, nothing in the mornings? It seems to be coming from behind me and doesn't seem to alter with either road or engine speed. Any suggestions?

You can get a ticking from behind the dashboard. I don't know of anything behind you. (there are no relays?)

stevestrat
16-01-2015, 05:30 PM
Could be behind the dash, just sounded like it was behind me.

AndyG
16-01-2015, 05:41 PM
Could be behind the dash, just sounded like it was behind me.

I forgot, The DVD Sat Nav Drive could be chunking?

stevestrat
16-01-2015, 05:58 PM
Don't have a sat nav drive, car is non SE. Is it anything worth getting all hot and bothered about or am I being paranoid?

Herman
16-01-2015, 08:21 PM
If behind the dash or somewhere in the front, it could be the heater balance valve. I can hear mine on occasions but got used to it.
Valve is located in the central tunnel left of the clutch

stevestrat
16-01-2015, 09:05 PM
Could well the that Herman, with the car being new to me I'm hearing every little "out of the ordinary" noise amplified, a bit of paranoia creeping in!

Malcolmr
16-01-2015, 10:33 PM
The balance valve on old 206 makes a ticking noise too. I only hear it on idle though. It used to annoy me, but now I just ignore it. One day I'll get to it but there are other noises that need attention first! :-)

Herman
16-01-2015, 11:08 PM
Could well the that Herman, with the car being new to me I'm hearing every little "out of the ordinary" noise amplified, a bit of paranoia creeping in!

That will settle when the reality of the fuel bill kicks in :)

stevestrat
17-01-2015, 12:12 AM
Did not bad on the run north with it, 28mpg, haven't (and don't really want to!) calculated everyday mpg!

T16
20-01-2015, 08:28 PM
That heater valve ticking noise drives me NUTS.

I think the forums needs to work out if its actually working properly, or if everyones is broken!

If you turn off the fans to min/0 and change the temps up high etc, you can hear the motor move, but that ticking must be it regulating for a certain air temperature in the cabin I guess.

For MONTHS I thought it was my keys hitting the steering column cover!

Herman
20-01-2015, 08:40 PM
That heater valve ticking noise drives me NUTS.

I think the forums needs to work out if its actually working properly, or if everyones is broken!

If you turn off the fans to min/0 and change the temps up high etc, you can hear the motor move, but that ticking must be it regulating for a certain air temperature in the cabin I guess.

For MONTHS I thought it was my keys hitting the steering column cover!

If it ticks, it's working. Very small movement against the valve once temps are balanced/achieved......................:)