PDA

View Full Version : 95 or 98 RON?

LeRoiDeLaRue
15-03-2014, 11:14 AM
Forgive me if this is covered elsewhere but searched fuel type and 95 , 98 ron and cant find anything so need to know asap as am off to petrol station ...

The manual sends mixed messages , indicating engine needs 95 RON then says it runs better on 98 ... which is it? And if 98, i have a quarter tank with 95 in , so do i use 95 til i am ready to refill fully with 98, or will 95 and 98 mix ok?

Nich
15-03-2014, 11:20 AM
Use 95 RON, general concensus seems to be no discernible benefit from 98 and the engines were designed to run on 95 anyway.

Get your questionnaire into Tim, full access will give you all these answers.

Nich.

Herman
15-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Forgive me if this is covered elsewhere but searched fuel type and 95 , 98 ron and cant find anything so need to know asap as am off to petrol station ...

The manual sends mixed messages , indicating engine needs 95 RON then says it runs better on 98 ... which is it? And if 98, i have a quarter tank with 95 in , so do i use 95 til i am ready to refill fully with 98, or will 95 and 98 mix ok?

ECU is mapped to run 95. Any higher won't give any benefit other than to the pump-owner.

LeRoiDeLaRue
15-03-2014, 11:25 AM
Fantastic reply in terms of info and timeliness, Nich. Many thanks indeed.

Quite why the wording of the original manual is as is, I have no idea.

I have returned completed questionnaire to Tim this morning.

Do you Admins all work a shift each so there is always someone looking in during certain times of the day? The support is fantastic. :applause

LeRoiDeLaRue
15-03-2014, 11:26 AM
Danke H Mann!

colintf
15-03-2014, 12:56 PM
I only run 98 Ron if I am overseas and the only other option is 95 E10 petrol :)

v8fangio
09-06-2014, 05:33 AM
Sean Hylands told me to run 98 with my blown ZT ,[ but mine has 12lbs with 520bhp]

Herman
09-06-2014, 08:05 AM
Sean Hylands told me to run 98 with my blown ZT ,[ but mine has 12lbs with 520bhp]

And a different map as well:)

Standard N/A cars do not need 98RON, they are mapped for 95

Zt pony
09-06-2014, 01:20 PM
I use Shell Nitro..because it's a superior fuel in every way.
I am NOT so worried about the octane rating..but the quality of it....Engine HEALTH !

The additives in Shell Nitro..increase engine life. Clean it. etc. Protect it more

The storage of it ( even more important these days..//Ethanol/ water/ fuel storage tanks/ etc .Shell Stations are all top class stations..with safe/ correct storage tanks.
The cheaper petrol..eg supermarket petrol..doesn't have the quality of additives in it..compared to Shell Nitro. ..some havn't got any. And the storage facilities of some of the actual petrol stations ( AT THE SUPERMARKETS ) are suspect ! eg I had a relation who was a Manger at a large morrisions p station..they often had water in the storage tanks..made worse by the 5% ethanol in ALL petrol now ! Some customers complained..problems after filling up...always..denied..don't know what you mean ..was the stock reply to customers !

They want to up the Ethanol up to E10 before to long i was reading about the other day ! That will be fun !! Let's hope ..there is a mass motorists protest this time.

One point of interest that came up, last octane chat !! , ..was that all the Addititves are added by the Petrol Tanker driver...after/before ..he fills up with the petrol from the refinery !

Harry

Also..Shell Nitro has beaten all the other petrols..in several proper tests ! ( all on web )

p.s. bad spelling day today !!

torque2me
18-06-2014, 09:28 PM
I am NOT so worried about the octane rating..but the quality of it....Engine HEALTH !

The additives in Shell Nitro..increase engine life. Clean it. etc. Protect it more

The storage of it ( even more important these days..//Ethanol/ water/ fuel storage tanks/ etc .Shell Stations are all top class stations..with safe/ correct storage tanks.

Bugger their ethanol/petrol storage facilities, it's the effect on my vehicle(s) petrol tank/pipes/fittings/seals etc that worries me.

The cheaper petrol..eg supermarket petrol..doesn't have the quality of additives in it..compared to Shell Nitro. ..some havn't got any. And the storage facilities of some of the actual petrol stations ( AT THE SUPERMARKETS ) are suspect ! eg I had a relation who was a Manger at a large morrisions p station..they often had water in the storage tanks..made worse by the 5% ethanol in ALL petrol now ! Some customers complained..problems after filling up...always..denied..don't know what you mean ..was the stock reply to customers !

They want to up the Ethanol up to E10 before to long i was reading about the other day ! That will be fun !! Let's hope ..there is a mass motorists protest this time.

One point of interest that came up, last octane chat !! , ..was that all the Addititves are added by the Petrol Tanker driver...after/before ..he fills up with the petrol from the refinery !

Harry

Also..Shell Nitro has beaten all the other petrols..in several proper tests ! ( all on web )

p.s. bad spelling day today !!

LeRoiDeLaRue
18-06-2014, 10:32 PM

Can get you a Shell suit if you want, we got loads spare round our way

... or did they give you one at work?

:duck

Herman
18-06-2014, 11:20 PM
95 Tesco's and a bottle of Redex every 4 tanks

The money I saved.....................

By all means go by Shell or BP....................waste of money IMHO

torque2me
20-06-2014, 10:26 PM
Can get you a Shell suit if you want, we got loads spare round our way

... or did they give you one at work?

:duck

Only a birthday suit :ash

Kev

torque2me
20-06-2014, 10:30 PM
95 Tesco's and a bottle of Redex every 4 tanks

The money I saved.....................

By all means go by Shell or BP....................waste of money IMHO

It could be and it might not be. Most fuel in this country is "pool" petrol. Shell might do 2* at their refinery and BP might do 4*. They will swap amounts for the fuel that they are in need of at that moment. At Buncefield they store all types and I will see tankers from various companies make a fill-up visit.

Kev

Herman
20-06-2014, 10:53 PM
I could be and it might not be. Most fuel in this country is "pool" petrol. Shell might do 2* at their refinery and BP might do 4*. They will swap amounts for the fuel that they are in need of at that moment. At Buncefield they store all types and I will see tankers from various companies make a fill-up visit.

Kev

Isn't 2 star and 4 star a bit last century ??

Zt pony
21-06-2014, 12:46 AM
Your correct on this Kev, it's the same fuel bank..BUT the difference lies in the addition of the magic brew ..directly into the filled up Tankers..afterwards, that separates the" piss" from the "Champagne" petrol wise !!!!! ( ie the supermarket petrol from the Shell/ BP etc..the Shell Nitro being the Don Pere whatsit of the champagnes of course ..and supermarket petrol's being the piss !!! )

And, as I have said , Shell, Bp, etc..store the petrol in good quality tanks at their stations, and in some cases.. supermarkets don't !

With 5% ethanol now in ALL petrol..the Tanks are "strained" more than the pre ethanol days..due to the negative effects ethanol has..in petrol tanks etc..actually at petrol stations..not just in you MGB !!!

" They " ...REALLY want to up the ethanol % in petrol to 10% ...soon !!!
That's when " the shit will really hit the fan" ..car destruction wise. Hey ho..!!

Harry

P.S. Herman ..
ISN'T RED X ..rather " last century " ??!!
My Grandpa used to put it in his Hillman Californian !!!;)

Herman
21-06-2014, 09:57 AM
Your correct on this Kev, it's the same fuel bank..BUT the difference lies in the addition of the magic brew ..directly into the filled up Tankers..afterwards, that separates the" piss" from the "Champagne" petrol wise !!!!! ( ie the supermarket petrol from the Shell/ BP etc..the Shell Nitro being the Don Pere whatsit of the champagnes of course ..and supermarket petrol's being the piss !!! )

And, as I have said , Shell, Bp, etc..store the petrol in good quality tanks at their stations, and in some cases.. supermarkets don't !

With 5% ethanol now in ALL petrol..the Tanks are "strained" more than the pre ethanol days..due to the negative effects ethanol has..in petrol tanks etc..actually at petrol stations..not just in you MGB !!!

" They " ...REALLY want to up the ethanol % in petrol to 10% ...soon !!!
That's when " the shit will really hit the fan" ..car destruction wise. Hey ho..!!

Harry

P.S. Herman ..
ISN'T RED X ..rather " last century " ??!!
My Grandpa used to put it in his Hillman Californian !!!;)

Redex is as much last century as the Mustang lump we have in the front :)

As far as petrol and additives goes, all petrol comes from the same sources. Additives are added when the tanker fills up.
Different companies, different mixes but all base petrol has to comply with the applicable standards.

The same goes for the storage tanks, they have to comply as well and with a supermarket selling (most likely) more fuel, the chances of old fuel in the tanks is slim, as is the chance of water due to the 5% ethanol.

For an engine that's been around as long as ours and ran on whatever the States called fuel in the 90ties, I'm not to worried :)