PDA

View Full Version : Head unit ICE questions

Xr4x4
14-01-2014, 10:10 PM
Hello all,

New to this site and just brought a MG ZT T 260 se.

I'm looking into options for upgrading the ICE.

Before this I had a 52 plate range rover and updated the cd sat nav to the DVD and installed free view tv. I would like to do the same to the 260 but it turned out to be quite expensive but you don't really have an option on the the range rover as the systems are all integrated and interconnected.

it seems a little different on the 260? I'd like to upgrade the head unit to a wide screen unit, upgrade the sat nav, free view and Bluetooth for the iPhone.

Do I need to upgrade to mg/BMW items or can I just remove the head unit and replace with one of those double din, touch screen complete units you can get?

I know someone who installed one in a BMW m3 and it turned out to be a NIGHTMARE!

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

colintf
14-01-2014, 10:26 PM
Hi Paul and welcome

whereabouts are you? We normally have a big gathering at brooklands on the first Sunday in April, so plenty of options to see first hand there.

personally I went down the BMW route but haven't done the digi tv yet, this can be done quite cheaply. Eurorover has done it for example
others have fitted a Chinese widescreen unit, but to me they don't quite look right in the ZT, but that's just me!

enjoy your new toy :thumb

Nich
14-01-2014, 10:30 PM
Hi Paul,

Welcome along, you need to return your questionnaire to Tim in order to get full access to the site where you will find lots of information about upgrading.

Basically if you try to upgrade the existing units it may get quite expensive and you will not get all the facilities you are looking for. If you upgrade with a new double DIN unit, you can then lose all the existing components. The most reliable source of double DIN units seems to be Radioguy over on the 75/ZT OC site:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=78

Hope you are happy with your car, what are the last three digits of the VIN?

Nich.

LeeB
15-01-2014, 07:20 PM
Hi Paul,

I bought the Chinese unit from Radioguy, been using it for about 8 months and still very happy with it and was very simple to fit, the only thing that lets it down a little is the ipod/mp3 UI.

Check out his web site for yourself http://www.75andzt.com/

Lee

Xr4x4
15-01-2014, 09:07 PM
Hi Paul and welcome

whereabouts are you? We normally have a big gathering at brooklands on the first Sunday in April, so plenty of options to see first hand there.

personally I went down the BMW route but haven't done the digi tv yet, this can be done quite cheaply. Eurorover has done it for example
others have fitted a Chinese widescreen unit, but to me they don't quite look right in the ZT, but that's just me!

enjoy your new toy :thumb

thats funny, i didn't get any notifications on the replies...

im in Hampshire.

if it doesn't interfere with the other systems on the car, I'd rather replace the whole system with a complete hear unit.

thanks for your reply.

Xr4x4
15-01-2014, 09:08 PM
Hi Paul,

Welcome along, you need to return your questionnaire to Tim in order to get full access to the site where you will find lots of information about upgrading.

Basically if you try to upgrade the existing units it may get quite expensive and you will not get all the facilities you are looking for. If you upgrade with a new double DIN unit, you can then lose all the existing components. The most reliable source of double DIN units seems to be Radioguy over on the 75/ZT OC site:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=78

Hope you are happy with your car, what are the last three digits of the VIN?

Nich.

hi nich,

at at this moment I have no idea what the vin is!

ColinE
15-01-2014, 09:09 PM
I'm only in West Sussex and have most of the BMW upgrade installed and can show you the bits - still drying them out from a leaking boot

Nich
15-01-2014, 09:59 PM
hi nich,

at at this moment I have no idea what the vin is!

It's visible through the n/s lower windscreen Paul. Be good to get the last three digits for the Forum information, if you join up and become a full member you will see the obvious advantages.

Nich.

peterv8
16-01-2014, 01:02 AM
I also have the chinese DD and I'm happy with it. Have had it for more then two years with no issues more then I had to do one factory reset a couple of month ago.
If i were you I'd go for Radioguy's new DD with android.:-)