PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Cruise Control

Sonic ZS
04-01-2014, 06:34 PM
Hi All,

New to the forum, but not MG Rover :). Have looked through the posts but got a couple of questions which I can't seem to find an answer to:

Thinking about a non-SE specification car,

a) Can cruise control be easily fitted to a MK1 ?
b) Do the MK2 models (base and SE) use the same wiring loom, with the base model just not having everything connected ? Hence possibly quite easy to add the steering wheel swithes, control unit and brake/clutch switches.
c) Will it still work with a supercharger fitted, or does this use a different throttle system, etc. preventing cruise from being fitted/operational ?

Have tried to contact Merl who had posted about this before, but not sure if he's still on the forum and I can't access the main section as I'm not an owner (well, not yet anyway... :D).

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

ColinE
04-01-2014, 07:00 PM
Try PM'ing Greeners - he's been working retro fitting cruise - it's not plug and play certainly

ksilver
04-01-2014, 07:04 PM
No simple answer, it might have the loom or it might not, probably cheaper to buy an after market system than retro fit the original unless you really know what you're up to.

greeners
04-01-2014, 09:01 PM
if you have the loom fitted, piece of cake, if not, can be done but much more involved....

Sonic ZS
05-01-2014, 01:28 PM
Umm, OK. Thank you for the replies, maybe not as straightforward as I'd hoped. Was wondering if all facelift models may have had the same loom, but this is possibly not the case ?

Not keen on aftermarket, I like any modifications to be as per factory, but a good thought all the same ksilver.

Am I right in thinking that the standard system on a 260 uses a conventional throttle cable connected to the accelerator pedal and throttle body (rather than fly-by-wire) with the SE models having a cruise controlling motor somewhere in between ?

Many thanks,

Paul.

greeners
05-01-2014, 02:11 PM
The car uses a ford system of a secondary throttle cable and an ecu.......

If you take the kick panel off by the bonnet release cable, you should have two connectors, they'll either be cruise or for the auto box

Sonic ZS
05-01-2014, 02:31 PM
Thanks Greeners, I guessing you've had one of these apart at some point... :)

When you say a secondary cable and ECU, am I right in thinking that the 260 set-up is:

Electrical from accelerator to ECU, then electrical from ECU to a throttle 'unit' (stepper motor that provides either tension or slack to a cable), then cable on to the actual throttle body attached to the intake?

Sorry to ask so many specifics, but want to do my homework on this before looking out for one (prefer a non-SE if I can fit the factory cruise).

Cheers,

Paul.

greeners
05-01-2014, 02:41 PM
That goes under the bonnet

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280593299484?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280593299484?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649)

And here's the ECU
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-SCB000080

Sonic ZS
05-01-2014, 03:00 PM
OK, thanks very much ! Have made a note of the part numbers for future reference. Will keep a look out just in case I see an SE being broken anywhere :-( and can remove the whole set-up in one go.

Thanks again all :)

greeners
05-01-2014, 03:25 PM
The ebay listing I've posted is a generic one, there are a number of different ones....not sure of what the differences are