PDA

View Full Version : Cooling Fan Diagnostic Help

NOCTURNAL
17-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Further to my issue regarding lumpy running after repeated hot-starting, sitting in traffic after 3-4 stop starts yesterday I had the temperature shoot up in traffic, luckily I wa sonly about a 1/3 nmile from home and the traffic cleared right on cue so that as I drove the temperature dropped back down to sub-critical whilst moving and then I rolled into the carpark with a sigh of relief.

once stopped I realised the fan wasn't running on , so restarted (clearly it would have been hot enough for full fan speed at this time, ) No fan
aircon on, demist on, No fan

Checking for threads all morning I couldn't find anything to point to the exact Trinay switch leads to short to test full fan speed?

I found a nice cut'n' paste by Herman of a Blackolive Post, but haven't found the thread yet,where he showed the connectors in the wheel arch, but weather prevented me testing from there. unfortunately the weather is dire here and could only mange half an hour but my fan didn't come on at all so I suspect the worst...

I've dropped Jules a PM, as I suspect complete replacement will be the result, I couldn't see any blown fuses in the engine fuse box, does the V8 also have the fan control box on the fan cowel like the other models?? or is it just fed from the fuse box Relay?

I can't see a Resistor so assume I have the early model Fan arrangement, which is the best model of fan or exchange fan for this variant? should I go Kenlowe? as supplied by Jules..

All suggestions gratefully recieved..

particularly, which cables to short on Tinary,
which fan to fit if replacement
any further suggestions for testing Fan ? or gteting to relays

I have the wiring diagrams somewhere so will try to break them out.

Never Rains but it pours......

NOCTURNAL
17-11-2013, 05:52 PM
can't Edit but Found Steve's Thread :)

ian w
17-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Hi i answered in the other thread. To test the fan pull fuse number 1 under bonnet with ignition at position 2 it will go on full speed.

Ian

NOCTURNAL
18-11-2013, 03:19 AM
Hi i answered in the other thread. To test the fan pull fuse number 1 under bonnet with ignition at position 2 it will go on full speed.

Ian

Thanks Ian, I've found that also with further searching on 75'n'zt.... the info is rather scattered considering the regularity with which it comes up, by that I mean most threads have 90% info but not the last 10% even on the how-to's..

just about there now anyway, I saw Steve post about the red wired lead at the front of teh engine for the same 100% first, but then saw the fuse1 Pull...

Do you know which pins to short on the Trinary switch for low speed activation? currently I'm getting nowt :( need to check out brush replacement now I realise I have the older version, supposed to be dry tomorrow, No garage availability sucks in the winter... likewise a second/spare car so that you can leave it part finished, Ho hum these things are sent to to try us.. and My Baby is certainly doing that of late :(

Thanks for the reply,

N.

ian w
18-11-2013, 06:07 AM
NIck sorry I don't know which is which yet, I just started to investigate this when I raised the Trinary switch thread, unfortunately doing a lt of travelling at the moment so have not completed my investigation yet.

ian

1POWERRACK
18-11-2013, 08:32 AM
Nick, I had this issue, mines a mk2 fan, I did all the tests and checked voltages etc but also came to the conclusion it needed a new fan and ordered from Jules, so I fitted this new unit. When testing the new unit it still did not work, so I traced a thick black wire from the connectors that plug into the new unit. That black wire(earth) had a round "lug" with a bolt into the chassis, when I undid this the bolt was very rusted but showed no outward sign of this. Once cleaned up the fan worked and has done ever since, there is also another similar wire on the other front chassis leg, you can only see these with the front bumper removed, this might be worth checking could save you some money.
Glenn

NOCTURNAL
18-11-2013, 10:17 AM
Thanks Guys, my Late night reading backfired, and I'm running late, about to test full speed, I know the low speed isn't working (Mk1 fan it seems though I assume 2speed version of 3-speed fan.)

were any of you guys the ones who purchased Brushes with Black Olive Steve in the 75'nZT group buy? I didn't find the group buy thread on there last night to see if any were left or not used as upgraded fan, dimensions might help if not as I have a very friendly motor re-winder contact who obviously has good brush contacts and if they're available he'll find 'em, and if they are on ebay they are obviously being made, I've just read you take a chance on the quality :(

I assume further fault finding means bumper off to get to relay box??

Cheers for the help so far...

1POWERRACK
18-11-2013, 11:30 AM
I have a set Brushes no longer required, if you need them you can have them.
Glenn

1POWERRACK
18-11-2013, 11:37 AM
Nick,
just checked the bag they are not there, will keep looking

NOCTURNAL
18-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Ok So I need to learn to read LOL, I just pulled fuse one with the engine running and it stalled lOL, back out we go, I really don't want to pull the front off in the rain but it's comming :?

and thanks, errm I think ;) gratefully received if you do find them :)

NOCTURNAL
18-11-2013, 03:24 PM
To keep the thread up to date I'm struggling with the lower bumper fixings, first two sheared three more are spinning the philips out and three more are out , about to try attacking with mole grips, but as it's wet and I'm parked away from the house dremelling/grinding laying on a wet floor doesnt seem like fun :(

the 'red wires' referred to on the 4 and 6 cylinder cars is the green with red stripe cabled connector I assume on the V8 as it was in the water flow I figured it was the right one, I tried that and No fan, I tried fuse 1 and can here click, and feintist short whine but now movement so it seems the relay is clicking in.

I so wanted to get it off today so i could see if I could get away with brushes for the time being :/

Ho hum, crudity with Mole grips awaits ...:fight

I so wanted to get the damn thing off today so that

NOCTURNAL
18-11-2013, 08:19 PM
4 hours later 4 more sheared and soaking wet but I needed it off, so had to be done...
Had to break away some of the left side (drivers) cowlng to get it off without a regas, but there was wet residue at both connections? could it still be wet from last time it was done , years I mean? does it stay 'wet looking? or would it blow dry and therefore it's fresh?

Haven't had the fan apart yet as I need to do it indoors, and it's obviously filthy, so need to get it past the Boss.... the condenser and rad looked ok at a quick look but as I say it was persisting down :(

Filthy Blocked up though...

does the fan just tug off? haven't looked yet.

Malcolmr
18-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Warm and sunny in Canberra - so I'm doing many of the jobs that need doing while the bumper is off. Dave suggested checking the wiring around the legs of the chassis, so here's a photo of the wiring nicely taped up. While there was not much tape in use originally, there was no sign of fraying or rubbing through anywhere, however the earth was badly rusted and has now been cleaned up and reconnected. The fan plugs are the two big ones and they clip onto the white thingy still attached to the chassis. Note that the winscreen washer reservoir has been taken off in these photos. It definitely needed cleaning out. The liquid was quite primordial and was clogging the filter. More photos to follow.

Malcolmr
18-11-2013, 09:20 PM
PS Jules has sent me his Kenlowe kit, so I'm doing these jobs while I wait for it to arrive. I see no point in trying to keep the original fans going when a Kenlowe alternative is available. So, I, too, have spare brushes if anyone wants them, but be warned, pulling the original fan motors apart and replacing the brushes looks like a job for the experts. I don't think Mr Siemens wanted his motors dismantled!

NOCTURNAL
19-11-2013, 12:26 AM
No problem pulling the motor apart Malcom, 5 Mins and your're in... half an hour to solder in 4 new brushes and youre done.......all assuming youre Com is OK and mine isn't it's completely Shot :(

So it's 2 speed or Kenlowe.... does Jules have a preference?

I'd like to see the Nut and Bolt fitting Picture with spacers rather than ty-wraps, but other than thats it looks simple enough, I'd like to see a pic of the rerouted Control Box too, as I'd have liked to be able to prove I had the Juice going to the Fan when testing..

the relays seem ok and are the same resistance on the coil so should be Ok.. Just need to get it sorted asap Now :( Hospital appointment in the morning, 12 hours night-shift preceded by a 13 Mile cycle commute and the same home doesn't leave too much time for fitting either... The poor car looks like it's had a total Front end...

Oh and it tried to snow but just drizzled the whole time \:fight2

Malcolmr
19-11-2013, 01:09 AM
I think I'm more of a butcher than an electrical engineer! I've pulled two Siemens motors apart now (her 180 and now my 260) and have opted for new motors.

I'll be re-routing the control box, as suggested by Jules, so I'll post photos of the finished product in due course...

Malcolmr
19-11-2013, 01:18 AM
By the way, I have never seen such rusty bits as those found closer to the road on old 206. Clearly several years in Kent as a work horse on a berry farm all year round has played havoc with lightly protected brackets, nuts and bolts and fittings. My power steering hose and pipe that goes from the pump to the rack is so rusted (the pipe section that comes out of the pump) that I have had to order in a new one. It looks like it could disintegrate at any time. Similarly the brackets that hold the cooling loop to the bottom of the shut panel are completely rusted on all surfaces...

NOCTURNAL
19-11-2013, 08:45 AM
FFS lost two decent posts due to token expired press back and text is gone :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I give up !!!

NOCTURNAL
19-11-2013, 12:06 PM
Fan is U/S the Comm' is shot :(

a call to Jules, any prefferences on Kenlowe or Original??? anyone??

1POWERRACK
19-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Nick,
never found the brushes, sorry, they useless for me, I went with original only because it was said the 2 speed fans had a much longer life span and reliability compared to 3 speed, never used Kenlowe so cannot offer any advice on that make- but the choice is yours

WNJ516
19-11-2013, 08:09 PM
I fitted a Kenlowe to my doly. sprint , never had any problems if and when I get a problem with the motor i'll go for the Kenlowe, fit and forget.

NOCTURNAL
20-11-2013, 10:27 AM
Jules has suggested the standard retro fit for the V8 so I've gone with his recommendation, I was veering towards Kenlowe TBH, but as I know jack about the subject I figured I'd go with his steer ...

If it gives me another 86K Miles I won't be throwing it back at him :D

NOCTURNAL
20-11-2013, 10:28 AM
Jules has suggested the standard retro fit for the V8 so I've gone with his recommendation, I was veering towards Kenlowe TBH, but as I know jack about the subject I figured I'd go with his steer ...

If it gives me another 86K Miles I won't be throwing it back at him :D