PDA

View Full Version : Rear sub frame

wheresmonkey
20-12-2012, 12:39 AM
MOT failed due to badly corroded rear sub frame. Quoted about £750 including VAT not including labour obviously. Does anyone know where I could get one a bit cheaper? Ive looked but cant see.

Think the part numbers KHB000170

Thanks

Christian

Dominic22
20-12-2012, 12:46 AM
typical. one just sold on ebay for £125 a couple of weeks ago. think it was bought by someone on here so they might be along. If not Bernard had a place that welded his at a decent price.

Alternatively there is the place in Macclesfield that had a couple left new for £600 I think, but that was for a whole new rear stuff up.

I am calling them tomorrow so will see if they have any left.

re-tread
20-12-2012, 12:49 AM
Hi Christian

Have a chat with Chris over at MG Lifestyle. He is about to do a swap on a rear frame so may have a spare one. If not he might be able to do some welding for you. You could also try Linden as he welded mine last year for the same reason, depends how bad yours is.

re-tread
20-12-2012, 12:52 AM
typical. one just sold on ebay for £125 a couple of weeks ago. think it was bought by someone on here so they might be along. That could be the one Chris got. He's getting it powder coated before fitting which is the route I'm taking.

wheresmonkey
20-12-2012, 12:58 AM
typical. one just sold on ebay for £125 a couple of weeks ago. think it was bought by someone on here so they might be along. If not Bernard had a place that welded his at a decent price.

Alternatively there is the place in Macclesfield that had a couple left new for £600 I think, but that was for a whole new rear stuff up.

I am calling them tomorrow so will see if they have any left.

Cheers yeah if you can let me know what they say.

And Dave i got a voicemail left from the garage saying its badly corroded and they were quite shocked... doesnt sound good :P Im not sure about the welding ill ask when i call up tomorrow.

Bainzi
20-12-2012, 01:21 AM
Hi Christian,

What is your cars Vin number please? I thought the problems with the rear subframe was mainly seen on early cars?

Hope you get yours sorted quickly.

regards

Nigel

AndyG
20-12-2012, 01:39 AM
There has been a question of people having the car undersealed and blocking the drain holes up. ?

wheresmonkey
20-12-2012, 01:45 AM
Nigel yep your probably right 110 is mine

V8NDV
20-12-2012, 11:02 PM
MGOC workshop replaced the tube under the diff on the sub frame for me. I cannot remember how much for the tube, but the total bill was less than your quote and they replaced my rear springs which I supplied, 5000 service and a MOT.

They said it is best to repair the sub frame on the car as it keeps it true being bolted to the car, if it was removed and the tube cut out it could distort.

They have done several.

This subject has been mentioned before: https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?10665-Rear-lower-cross-beam

re-tread
21-12-2012, 12:09 AM
There has been a question of people having the car undersealed and blocking the drain holes up. ?

.The drain holes on mine are at the high point at each end of the banana tube rather than at the bottom so wouldn't really drain. Funny though as it was the ends of that tube which went on mine.

colintf
21-12-2012, 12:23 AM
There's a thread somewhere on here listing the cars by vin that we know have suffered rear subframe corrosion, to which I was going to add #110 but can I find it? No

:cool:

AndyG
21-12-2012, 12:30 AM
There's a thread somewhere on here listing the cars by vin that we know have suffered rear subframe corrosion, to which I was going to add #110 but can I find it? No

Could it be this one https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?10665-Rear-lower-cross-beam/page5&highlight=corrosion

?

re-tread
21-12-2012, 12:30 AM

:cool:Try this thread (https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?10665-Rear-lower-cross-beam&p=126889#post126889) Colin

colintf
21-12-2012, 12:40 AM
Many thanks
I searched for 10-15 minutes and failed
:thumb

wheresmonkey
21-12-2012, 01:17 AM
Spoken to the garage today who say welding is the best route, which after the comments on here seems to be what some people have already had done. I didnt think to ask the garage but would coating it with something like http://www.frost.co.uk/por15-rust-prevention-paint-473ml.html and http://www.frost.co.uk/por15-chassis-coat-black-paint.html help keep it going?

thanks to dave for the link i stole from the other thread

2V8s
27-12-2012, 10:58 PM
yes POR 15 is an excellent paint for the outside, but the rust on this part of the frame is caused from the inside out.

I would recommend you also inject some Dinitrol cavity wax, and also ensure there are drain holes especially at the bottom of the curve. If there are none, which if a new tube is welded in there probably wont be, then drill a couple, paint the drilled openings with por 15 but ensure they remain open as in not blocked, then inject cavity wax. This should ensure longevity.

Mine is passing MOTs ok at the mo but I know there was some corrosion in the lower bend at the centre of the subframe lower crossmember, but I cought it a few years ago and injected wax plus did the outside with dinitrol black and so far so good. One day though, it will need doing and I will probably go down the welding route at the MGOC garages or somewhere with experience of them.

If anyone does source and fit replacement rear subframe, please take the time to paint it and wax inject it all over as above to save yourself future hassle, and ensure there are clear drainholes in sensible places wherever water may collect and sit.

I also wax injected the front subframe whilst I was at it.