PDA

View Full Version : 2004/04 MG ZT-T 4.6 V8 260 SE ebay #170910988821

schoppa
28-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Hi,

anything know about the offered "2004/04 MG ZT-T 4.6 V8 260 SE" on eBay #170910988821

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-04-MG-ZT-T-4-6-V8-260-SE-ESTATE-1-LADY-OWNER-FMGSH-/170910988821?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item27cb16ba15

Seems to be for sale since September.

Ciao
Marcus

Tim
28-11-2012, 07:57 PM
Built the 9th March 2004 and I've got no reported issues with it, but that is dependant on information from others so still need to do the normal checks when buying a second hand car. Seems a good looking motor for the mileage.

MrDoodles
28-11-2012, 08:21 PM
The car was advertised originally fitted with Hairpins at £7,995, I sent a message to ask about why the original alloys were replaced, got a load of excuses that made no sense, the car was then advertised for £8,500 with the correct wheels fitted! :(

As the car is about to hit 100k, he may have it a while at the current price and the question over the wheels, so "Caveat Emptor"! :)

schoppa
28-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Hmm ... but the current fitted wheels are the original one, right?

Is the mileage of 100k a general problem for a 260 and to high?

Ciao
Marcus

Herman
28-11-2012, 08:33 PM
The car was advertised originally fitted with Hairpins at £7,995, I sent a message to ask about why the original alloys were replaced, got a load of excuses that made no sense, the car was then advertised for £8,500 with the correct wheels fitted! :(

As the car is about to hit 100k, he may have it a while at the current price and the question over the wheels, so "Caveat Emptor"! :)

Hairpins were never fitted or an option on the 260. One lady owner @ 100K normally sets off the alarm.
Surprised it doesn't say that's always been stored dry and never used in the rain:)

However much I like prices of the 260 to go up, I have to agree that at that price it may be for sale for a while yet.

Maybe 6K would be a better estimate ?

spartacus
28-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Worth buying for the mere fact it has mudflaps all round :)

Mind you, one lady owner? Must have been one hell of a hairdressing round :~

colintf
28-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Hi,

anything know about the offered "2004/04 MG ZT-T 4.6 V8 260 SE" on eBay #170910988821

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-04-MG-ZT-T-4-6-V8-260-SE-ESTATE-1-LADY-OWNER-FMGSH-/170910988821?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item27cb16ba15

Seems to be for sale since September.

Ciao
Marcus

you still looking then Marcus :thumb

MrDoodles
28-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Hairpins were never fitted or an option on the 260. One lady owner @ 100K normally sets off the alarm.
Surprised it doesn't say that's always been stored dry and never used in the rain:)

However much I like prices of the 260 to go up, I have to agree that at that price it may be for sale for a while yet.

Maybe 6K would be a better estimate ?

On a VERY good day, if the car was EXACTLY the colour and spec that you wanted! :)

Lee 7Star
04-12-2012, 09:04 PM

I think this paints an unfair reflection about this car, below is the question received via ebay from Bev/Mr Doodles and our reply. At no point did I make a "load of excuses" that "made no sense" in any of our replies regarding this vehicle. I was merely pointing out that we as a general rule do not contact previous owners to ask why they did this or why they did that in their time of ownership. I feel it is intrusive to ask previous owners why you have changed wheels or changed stereo's, or changed anything superficial for that matter.

Anyhow here is the Q & A word for received from Mr Doodles:

Question - Received 27/09/12 via Ebay

Hi Lee, thanks for your response. I didn't say that they were after-market wheels, just that they weren't original, ie; the car didn't leave the factory with them.

The wheels currently fitted to the car, are 18" "Hairpin" alloys, which were standard equipment on the Mk 1 MG ZT 160's and optional on the 190.

They were never fitted to ANY of V8's that left the factory, as the spokes weren't deemed strong enough to handle the torque of the V8 engine.

The car being a Mk 2 V8, would have left the factory with either 11 Spoke or Apex alloys with Gridspoke alloys as a no-cost option.

This Link you may find useful.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=527170#post527170

With this in mind and as you are advertising the car as being one owner, would it be possible to contact the owner to find out why they were replaced (were they stolen, or damaged in an accident), as I would like to make an offer on the car, subject to finding out this information.

Kind regards

Bev

Answer - Sent 27/09/12 via Ebay

Hi, this is our first MG V8 we have stocked so we are also learning more about these very rare
vehicles, however it is such an awesome vehicle that we will look to stock more in the future.

This car has had 14/15 services by Rover and the first person will buy, there can't be many better examples
available. I will be adding full advert details later today.

We have no idea why the wheels would have been changed, and we generally do not contact previous owners
to ask them why they have changed wheels etc. Obviously if someone buys the vehicle they can do so if they
wish but it is not something we would feel comfortable in doing.

Regards
Lee

Herman
04-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the update and good luck with the sale.

Lee 7Star
04-12-2012, 09:29 PM
Thanks, so far we have had a number of enquiries re this ZT-T, some more genuine than others, and have had the one viewing, (think the guy's name was Cameron), who seemed very impressed with the vehicle but was unsure about the colour, (thought it was too bright!), and was ultimately after a black one.

Herman
04-12-2012, 09:44 PM
I'm sure you'll remember to point the one that buys the car to this forum :)

Lee 7Star
04-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Well most of them are probably on here already! I knew about the 260's club a few years ago, someone I know races on the MG circuit and mentioned about
the 4.6 V8's, and up until recently I had never seen one in the flesh, so was pleased to get my hands on this one!

precious metal
06-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Cannot fault Lee 7Star's reply and response,

IMO being in the trade - it is very unusual for a dealer to contact the previous owner on car in stock, unless you are chasing a spare key or s/history that affects selling the car, you wouldnt contact them to see why it has different wheels, you just have to accept it has or had different wheels, if you do find out they were stolen and replaced, what difference would it make, nothing. if the car ticks the right boxes, then you buy it !! it does look good condition/history for the high miles.

i have just sold the red MK2 260 SE in solar red i had in, i think the colour is great on the 260

goodluck Lee

ksilver
06-12-2012, 06:32 PM
i think the colour is great on the 260

What he said :)

Cambo
06-12-2012, 08:20 PM
I've driven this car and met Lee. The car is in very good nick, especially the bodywork, which really is excellent considering it's approaching the ton and lives near the city. Colour is always so personal, and the red looks good. It's was just too much for me! Nee-naw, nee-naw....
Cambo.

Lee 7Star
06-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Cannot fault Lee 7Star's reply and response,

IMO being in the trade - it is very unusual for a dealer to contact the previous owner on car in stock, unless you are chasing a spare key or s/history that affects selling the car, you wouldnt contact them to see why it has different wheels, you just have to accept it has or had different wheels, if you do find out they were stolen and replaced, what difference would it make, nothing. if the car ticks the right boxes, then you buy it !! it does look good condition/history for the high miles.

i have just sold the red MK2 260 SE in solar red i had in, i think the colour is great on the 260

goodluck Lee

Thanks for confirming the above! what is/was dissapointing is that when someone who has no genuine interest in purchasing a car thinks it is acceptable to portray
the seller, (whoever it may be), in a negative way without just reason on a public forum like this. Colour is always very pesonal, some people love the bright colours whilst others don't, IMO solar red is a great colour on the 260, but perhaps more suited to the saloon rather than the estate.

colintf
06-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Thanks for confirming the above! what is/was dissapointing is that when someone who has no genuine interest in purchasing a car thinks it is acceptable to portray
the seller, (whoever it may be), in a negative way without just reason on a public forum like this. Colour is always very pesonal, some people love the bright colours whilst others don't, IMO solar red is a great colour on the 260, but perhaps more suited to the saloon rather than the estate.

please please Lee, remember that the one making the comments that started all this off is neither an owner or a Full Member of this forum!! :cool:

T16
07-12-2012, 12:22 PM
please please Lee, remember that the one making the comments that started all this off is neither an owner or a Full Member of this forum!! :cool:

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

This is the sort of cliquey snobbery which turns people off this forum.

There is nothing wrong with questioning why a trader suddenly managed to produce the correct wheels from nowhere.

MOST car dealers are complete cowboys, its only the rare few who are decent individuals. Getting to the bottom of a small query is the least I would expect from people who are interested in making a purchase.

Couple in the fact its high mileage and overpriced, and it looks even less attractive.

When I got mine I spoke to the previous owner and found out why it had a scratch on one of the front wings. He was very honest with me and said that a lorry had cut him up and had caused some damage to the front. A point which the seller of the vehicle at the time did not feel was necessary to mention!!

You can uncover all sorts by doing your own digging, and anyone who says its not a good idea must have a bigger wallet than their brain.

Herman
07-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Think this all comes down to an unfortunate choice of words.

There are always two sides to a story and in this case we had a response from the seller to clarify things.
The fact that he has chosen to source the correct wheels after being questioned about the hairpins is a good thing.
(the trader was never questioned why all of a sudden the originals where put on but more why it had hairpins).

Things should not be taken out of context and Lee's replies showed the other side of the story

Surely trying to find out as much as you can about the car you're interested in is advisable.
It all depends on how far a car trader is willing to go or how much the original owner is prepared to reveal.
Then again, you can always do you're own research.

With regards to this forum, it is not intended to be an elite club.
However there seems to be a difference in attitude between members who own a 260 and some other members.

This forum is here to serve both but does rely on accurate information and genuine interest in the ZT260

This way owners and potential owners can benefit from the collective knowledge available on this site

Lee 7Star
07-12-2012, 06:20 PM
There is nothing wrong with questioning why a trader suddenly managed to produce the correct wheels from nowhere.

MOST car dealers are complete cowboys, its only the rare few who are decent individuals. Getting to the bottom of a small query is the least I would expect from people who are interested in making a purchase.

Couple in the fact its high mileage and overpriced, and it looks even less attractive.

That was not the question asked, but that's really missing the point anyway, the point being that a question was asked to which I replied, however what was portrayed on the forum is that I had "made a load of excuses" that "made no sense" which is simply not true.

Regarding the mileage - the vehicle is now 8+ years old, so if you use the 12K per annum average mileage as a guide it equates to 96K, and this vehicle has done 99K, so it really is just very slightly above average mileage for a car of it's age.

Whether a vehicle is overpriced or not is always open to interpretation, at the end of the day, there are more factors that determine the value of a vehicle than just mileage, ie rarity, spec, internal and external condition, mechanical condition, ownership and service records. The ZT-T that we have for sale is not only in superb order, but it also has a maintenance record with MG that is probably second to none.

How can you make sweeping statements that MOST car dealers are cowboys anyway!!, no doubt there are a lots of cowboys in every line of work, you only have to watch Cowboy Builders or Rogue Traders on TV to realise that!! The problem we face is that no matter how many excellent cars we sell, we will only be remembered for when are at fault!!

X5POWER
07-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Why is everyone falling out about this it is obvious that Lee 7 star didn't know exactly what he was selling and lets face it lots more people don't know much about the 260 than do. As for the price he is a trader and he needs to make money, In my opinion the cars a worth a lot more than they are selling for at the moment. Why is it up to the garage and i have never heard of any garage trying to find out why and what fore's of a previous owner's changing any spec of a vehicle.
Please don't let everyone fall out about it as we have a really unique marque here and it's not worth it !!!

Les4048
07-12-2012, 08:25 PM
I agree with the dealer needs his mark up because they are hit two ways with depreciation as the car sits there and if they are working on borrowed money they have interest to pay. Then take into account all the other overheads that only people who are in business can appreciate. As you all know I've just recently bought a 260 and its not until you start cleaning it you notice small things you never noticed when you buy it and that's no reflection on anyone, your eyes are your merchant as my dad used to say. Most garages I've dealt with are honest and I've never felt ripped off. I asked for advice on here about the price I was paying for the car and I did phone James and he very kindly pointed out the price was correct, he was happy and so was I so I dealt and have no complaints. So I don't see why people are falling out over this if you don't like the car or the price walk away and don't waste people's time

Zt pony
07-12-2012, 08:38 PM

I agree with Colin's " sentiments " on this one !

spartacus
08-12-2012, 07:41 PM
I have a habit of paying what others would consider to be 'over the odds' for most of my cars. However, I don't care as I usually end up getting what I want, when I want it. If people want to wring the arse out of every purchase they make, that's up to them. Personally, I have much more of a life to get on with than sitting on the tat-bazaar waiting for a kilo of unobtanium.

Before anyone says anything, I know it's 7:30 on a Saturday night, but I don't mind waiting for the dance programme to finish before going off for some fun in another overpriced car :YB