PDA

View Full Version : Super charger or pro cams ?

onzlo
11-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Hi, it I have a blown head gasket on my pony I assume its going to cost a packet to fix. So what's the prices and opinions on superchargers or pro cams.

I hear cams can get 400+ BHP.

What would cost be. I thought 6k for a blow with fitting. Cams ? Not sure.

Pete.

colintf
11-10-2012, 08:56 PM
I doubt cams will get anywhere near 400, as that is Blower territory :cool:

Herman
11-10-2012, 09:07 PM
I doubt cams will get anywhere near 400, as that is Blower territory :cool:

Whatever you do, you'd still have to take the heads off to replace the gasket.
TBH that's where I would start.

S/C replaces the inlet manifold (plus mounting some additional bits) cams require valve covers off and mapping.

Eitherway, it's additional cost on top of the head gasket replacement.

ksilver
11-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Someone (Steve?) has cams and got about 20bhp?

On their own cams won't get you much, but if your taking the heads off you could try the trickflow twisted wedge heads which apparently will generate c100bhp extra. :)

colintf
11-10-2012, 09:51 PM
have a look at StuC's rolling road figures from Janspeed last April, he has cams, Xpowers and Accufab from memory

:cool:

onzlo
11-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Been considering SC for a while now but want the rumble of road cams too. Is there a specific person to talk to here.

colintf
11-10-2012, 11:44 PM
Been considering SC for a while now but want the rumble of road cams too. Is there a specific person to talk to here.

Try Brian (Scooter on here) :cool:

AndyG
12-10-2012, 12:16 AM
You could have a custom built engine from SHM (http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/news/)Brian is the agent.

onzlo
12-10-2012, 12:53 AM
[QUOTE=AndyG;125441]You could have a custom built engine from SHM (http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/news/)Brian is the agent.

Yeah looked on here. Has anyone done this ? I take it you get it shipped over once built.

How does it work with our ecu's

Cribbit
13-10-2012, 07:08 PM
My forged short block was from SHM, and yes, Sean builds them and them sends them over. I'm sure Brian can advise on what will be required ecu mapping wise. For me, the most reliable and impressive power gains come from charging. Cams can make the power band quite narrow and high up the revs. A charged engine just pulls from any revs.

If you want a trip out on in, let me know. I'm only in Ashford...

scooter
16-10-2012, 11:00 PM
We tried cams but found the return for money spent was very poor. Cams will give you less than 30hp and a much narrower power band which takes you much higher up the rev range and dents your fuel economy. If you are thinking of blowing your engine you should keep the standard cams as a mild cam is much better with forced induction. The 260 which has the cams was not done by us as I refused to do the job on the grounds that the customer would not be happy with the return on money spent. We supplied the cams at less than cost to get rid of them and they were fitted by another garage. Unless the engine is damaged there is no need to change it, just do the head gasket that has blown.

jenksman
17-10-2012, 12:24 PM
We tried cams but found the return for money spent was very poor. Cams will give you less than 30hp and a much narrower power band which takes you much higher up the rev range and dents your fuel economy. If you are thinking of blowing your engine you should keep the standard cams as a mild cam is much better with forced induction. The 260 which has the cams was not done by us as I refused to do the job on the grounds that the customer would not be happy with the return on money spent. We supplied the cams at less than cost to get rid of them and the

y were fitted by another garage. Unless the engine is damaged there is no need to change it, just do the head gasket that

has blow.

Just out of curiosity will cams and re-mapping be sufficient or do the heads need work on porting and polishing of heads and manifolds possibly bigger valves and improved manifolds both inlet and outlet all of which makes the final cost prohibitive
Dave

Stu C
17-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Yes echoing the value for money on cams, i bought my car with them already fitted so luckily didn't have to to pay. But with receipts showing over £4k work, its an aweful lot of money, when saving up an extra couple of grand could have had 400 ponies rattling around under the bonnet.

Don't get me wrong i love having them, but my ones in particular it can be hard work around town, crawling traffic with the smoothness etc. and has definatly altered the power on the revs putting it more up top of the band.

AndyG
17-10-2012, 04:30 PM
............can be hard work around town, crawling traffic with the smoothness etc. and has definatly altered the power on the revs putting it more up top of the band.

My Motorcycle is the same. (high lift cams)

colintf
17-10-2012, 05:37 PM
Yes echoing the value for money on cams, i bought my car with them already fitted so luckily didn't have to to pay. But with receipts showing over £4k work, its an aweful lot of money, when saving up an extra couple of grand could have had 400 ponies rattling around under the bonnet.

Don't get me wrong i love having them, but my ones in particular it can be hard work around town, crawling traffic with the smoothness etc. and has definatly altered the power on the revs putting it more up top of the band.

Ah, but the sounds, especially on tickover :thumb

stevenw
17-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Don't know about cams but definitely worth getting a Dreadnought supercharger conversion if you can afford it

scooter
17-10-2012, 08:42 PM
I have to agree the loppy tickover sounds great. The SVR had that tickover until we were told by one of the famous four to get it to idle like an SV. Sean put an engine on his dyno and gave me a new cam timing to get the smooth idle. They insisted and we lost 12 hp and I had to rework over 40 engines at about 8 hours an engine. I did the work in return for the 520 engine.

colintf
17-10-2012, 08:52 PM
I have to agree the loppy tickover sounds great. The SVR had that tickover until we were told by one of the famous four to get it to idle like an SV. Sean put an engine on his dyno and gave me a new cam timing to get the smooth idle. They insisted and we lost 12 hp and I had to rework over 40 engines at about 8 hours an engine. I did the work in return for the 520 engine.

apart from you getting the 520 engine from it, and it keeping you guys busy, that was a bad decision to my mind :cool:

scooter
20-10-2012, 11:57 AM
apart from you getting the 520 engine from it, and it keeping you guys busy, that was a bad decision to my mind :cool:

It did not stop there they also decided not to fit the originaly included exhaust monifolds which lost the SVR another 32hp. The net rusult was the SVR had a very much stronger engine which was good for about 600hp but in fact it was only about 25hp more than the SV. Says it all for the management of Sport and Racing

colintf
20-10-2012, 05:30 PM
It did not stop there they also decided not to fit the originaly included exhaust monifolds which lost the SVR another 32hp. The net rusult was the SVR had a very much stronger engine which was good for about 600hp but in fact it was only about 25hp more than the SV. Says it all for the management of Sport and Racing

That's a real shame :cool: