PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy

mantianak
26-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Hi all. New to the forum but I don't currently own a 260. I have a 190 which I've had for about 4 1/2 year. Before that a R75 for 3 years. This forum comes highly recommended from the75andztclub.co.uk so I'd thought I'd stick my nose in and ask some questions.

Engine wise, are there any know faults or things to look out for when viewing the v8's?

Cheers.

colintf
26-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Hi and welcome.

This, written by a fellow member is well worth looking at http://www.spunagain.co.uk/ZT260page.html

Any questions, just ask, there's a wealth of knowledge on here (Two-Sixties) that other forums can only dream of!

:cool:

Drew
27-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Going from what I've read and experienced over the past 18 months of ownership, the engines are bullet proof. The only things that can be checked is whether the spark plugs come out, this is the only weak point. Spark plugs that are seized and then removed means damaged threads, which as there are not many threads, means that they can be forced out by the engine. Other possible pitfalls, air con pump, water pipe etc are all external to the engine and can be replaced if you are unlucky enough to have a problem.

The engines may be rare in the UK but they are two-a-penny in the US.

Good luck!

Ian

Tim
27-09-2012, 05:26 PM
I think like any car check for leaks, crap in the rad water, keep your ear out for tapping noises etc. When you come across one let us know and we can check our records as much as we can to make sure its not a pup.

Have a look here:

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?10074-Did-you-know

colintf
27-09-2012, 05:27 PM
and the engines are not that rare in the UK either :cool:

mantianak
29-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Thanks all! Some really useful stuff there. Doesn't appear to be many for sale at the moment so will keep looking!

Roadsterstu
01-10-2012, 04:02 AM
Ahem, cough, cough...

#314 is on Pistonheads at the mo...

Max260
11-10-2012, 09:57 PM
Thanks all! Some really useful stuff there. Doesn't appear to be many for sale at the moment so will keep looking!

I am selling mine very shortly if your interested.

Max

cedric
12-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Hi Tim, how do i go green, "help" cedric.

Herman
12-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Hi Tim, how do i go green, "help" cedric.

Buy a 260, join the MGOC, fill in the questionnaire sent when registering....................voila.............. ...green

2V8s
12-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Out of interest, if someone was a MGOC member, and wanted to join in advance to a purchase, wouldnt they be welcome to join? why must going green only be permitted after buying a car? because the reverse, when someone sells, are of course welcome to remain active members?

just thinking aloud.......especially when said prospective member is already a ZT owner

Nich
12-10-2012, 10:45 PM
I suspect (although I don't really know) that it would open the forum to virtually all the people on the 75/ZT site who are also members of the MGOC (vast majority?)and I think we can all guess where that will lead us.

Nich.

obiwan
13-10-2012, 01:19 AM
The forum is for owners and ex-owners. There is a public section for those aspiring. In my opinion, this is ideal.

When you become an owner, it won't be an issue for you. (Which is kind of the point ;)). And don't worry, everyone here will bend over backwards to help you before you make a purchase.

Big Dave
13-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Mines for sale as well.

Open to sensible offers.....

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?11866-No-88-regrettably-now-for-sale&p=125460#post125460

Roadsterstu
13-10-2012, 11:07 AM
A few of us selling currently. Sad times!

Big Dave
13-10-2012, 11:27 AM
And I think it's going to be a long, slow process for us too....

MrDoodles
13-10-2012, 01:00 PM
And I think it's going to be a long, slow process for us too....

Why do you say that? :confused:

You can sell any car, at any time of the year, if you price it right! :)

Big Dave
13-10-2012, 01:22 PM

Yes but with respect, the prices you think a 260 is worth based on the numerous replies I see on other forums from you is different than most of us 260 owners think.

However you have your view and others have theirs. Makes for an interesting debate of course :)

I for one however will not be giving my car away and especially not to a trader who can then make a hefty profit or grab a bargain for himself.

When I bought mine I bought on mileage and condition as I really wanted a 260 and found the right one. The price was irrelevant to me to a certain degree.

If you want a 260 specifically then as a buyer you will find the one that suits you.

What do you think my car is worth Mr Doodles as Id be very interested to know?

Slickster
13-10-2012, 02:45 PM

Can I guess he will say about £6175

(I say this as Mr Doodles did kindly release his pricing strategy in another thread :p)

stevenw
13-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Yes but with respect, the prices you think a 260 is worth based on the numerous replies I see on other forums from you is different than most of us 260 owners think.

However you have your view and others have theirs. Makes for an interesting debate of course :)

I for one however will not be giving my car away and especially not to a trader who can then make a hefty profit or grab a bargain for himself.

When I bought mine I bought on mileage and condition as I really wanted a 260 and found the right one. The price was irrelevant to me to a certain degree.

If you want a 260 specifically then as a buyer you will find the one that suits you.

I don't think there's any single right price for a car- it depends on what the buyer or seller is looking for.

What I think you're looking for is a buyer who is very much like you were when you were buying-ie looking for exactly the right car for him/her and doesn't have too much of a budget to worry about.

What Mr Doodles might be looking for is a good car which is very competitively priced and may need to fit into a certain budget.

I think some buyers will pay a bit more than"the going rate"if they can find exactly what they want,just as some sellers may accept less than"the going rate" if they are desperate to sell or don't know what fair value is for the car.

Herman
13-10-2012, 03:12 PM

Does that mean you can buy any car,at any time of the year, if you have the money ?

Don't think ZT260 conforms to the 'normal' depreciation perception.

MrDoodles
13-10-2012, 11:57 PM
Can I guess he will say about £6175

(I say this as Mr Doodles did kindly release his pricing strategy in another thread :p)

Very close! :D

Personally, I think your car would be worth £6,150, but I would have to take £250 off that figure to paint the wheels silver again! :kiss

Big Dave
14-10-2012, 06:34 AM
I agree the wheels are a very personal thing :)

I'm pleasantly surprised at your valuation considering the price you put on others seen on the web!!! :p

stevenw
14-10-2012, 09:27 AM
I think of a valuation more as a midway price where buyer and seller are both seen to be getting a reasonably good deal rather than a prediction of final selling price.
The actual selling price may be quite a way from the valuation depending on whether it's the buyer or the seller who is more keen for the transaction to take place.

Some people may think that the black wheels increase the value in their eyes, because they prefer them,as you say it's all a personal thing.

MrDoodles
15-10-2012, 09:17 PM
I agree the wheels are a very personal thing :)

I'm pleasantly surprised at your valuation considering the price you put on others seen on the web!!! :p

I always try to be realistic in the current Market place! :)

It's just some V8 owners don't appear to acknowledge the fact that high mileage affects the value on their cars! :confused:

mantianak
17-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Interesting posts. I've noticed the selling values really do vary on these cars so I think each examples should be treated uniquely. For me I'm after and SE bargain. I've convinced the mrs a 260 is a good idea but she has an unrealistic view on car prices (probably because she's never bought a car herself!). I'm not bothered about mileage as long as the car has been looked after and isn't falling apart. Although these cars are getting on a bit and with high mileage there might be a little work need doing.

I don't know how many cars are registered on clubs like this one, but with so few 260's then there must be a high percentage, so surely the selling prices are driven by clubs rather than traders, car guides, etc? Just a thought. When I looked at the parkers guide it valuing these cars similar to the 190 models, something £1500 or there abouts.

spartacus
17-10-2012, 05:59 PM
If you can get one for about £1500, I shall take my hat off to you sir :)

stevenw
17-10-2012, 06:19 PM
I may be wrong but I think you'd be lucky to get a write-off or MOT failure with serious issues for £1500 to be honest.Anything roadworthy in reasonable condition is unlikely to be much under £3k whatever the mileage.

colintf
17-10-2012, 06:43 PM
£1500, best of luck to you, unless you are prepared to gamble and wait another 10 years for a really rough one maybe? :cool:

mantianak
17-10-2012, 06:57 PM
I know they're worth a lot more than £1500. My point was that guides aren't necessarily the way to value a car!

jenksman
17-10-2012, 07:52 PM
£1500, best of luck to you, unless you are prepared to gamble and wait another 10 years for a really rough one maybe? :cool:

You can and some of us do. What is the equivalent in pints of cider and guess who
Dave