PDA

View Full Version : #216 Possibly for sale

RedzedV8
31-08-2012, 01:13 AM
I simply don't get the time to use my pride & joy now, and with new projects on the horizon I am thinking of selling Solar Read SE#216. One of the first official facelifts this car polishes up beautifully. The interior is fabulous full black leather in exceptional condition. I wish I could use it more but family commitments simply mean I don't have the time now. Still has under 54K on it, and you will see a number of pics of it taken at the Longbridge rallies over the last three years on this forum. Hasn't seen rain for 3 years, only been wet when I wash it! A true waste really but there we go. I'm not in a rush to sell, but 7K would twist my arm. I am using the wheels it had in the photos on my ZTT Cdti, but there is a set of silver Apex's with it that need repainting and re-shod. However, absolutely nothing else needs doing to the car at all. For any details just ask - message me. Thanks

colintf
31-08-2012, 07:04 AM
sorry to see you thinking about selling :cool: good luck

T16
03-09-2012, 09:36 AM
Can you post some imageshack pictures in this thread for those non full members?

Ahhhh 216, no cruise or traction control? Shame.

spartacus
03-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Ahhhh 216, no cruise or traction control? Shame.

Shame? No cruise control = minor inconvenience, no traction control = major bonus. Now, the fact that it's red is a different matter, but that's a personal taste thing (said the man with 2 red Alfas)

RedzedV8
04-09-2012, 12:52 AM
I've managed to load a few pics on imageshack here-:

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/redzedv8/

Re posts - I'd agree cruise control is a nice to have, but definitely not traction control!

T16
04-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Ahh I know this one!

The facelifted mk1 that they used for emissions testing at Millbrook!

Cool.

ksilver
04-09-2012, 10:11 PM
I do like a ZT in red :thumb

stevenw
05-09-2012, 08:39 AM
I like it in red too.

As for cruise and traction control,I'd rather be without them.

T16
05-09-2012, 09:26 AM
Why would you rather be without cruise control??

Its essential for modern motorway driving.

It makes it even harder to swallow given the fact that these were the top of the range cars, costing in excess of £30,000 new, so the emission of cruise is pretty shocking.

The traction control is obviously a waste of time, as it was rubbish!

colintf
05-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Why would you rather be without cruise control??

It makes it even harder to swallow given the fact that these were the top of the range cars, costing in excess of £30,000 new, so the emission of cruise is pretty shocking.

The traction control is obviously a waste of time, as it was rubbish!

Rubbish!!!!!!
I used to do 60k a year and never found the need to use it
Using your right foot is much better
Never needed it on the 350O mile euro tour last year and never missed not having it in the mg TF when I did a similar distance to Norway and back

:cool:

Herman
05-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Rubbish!!!!!!
I used to do 60k a year and never found the need to use it
Using your right foot is much better
Never needed it on the 350O mile euro tour last year and never missed not having it in the mg TF when I did a similar distance to Norway and back

Cruise control is very much a personal thing. On long trips it can come in very handy. I used to have CC on my Alfa and do miss it on the 260. So much even that I'm thinking of a retrofit. Having driven various rental cars on business trips I found CC can be used in the UK as well and makes travelling long distances on motorways less tiring.

Just because you don't like it you can't dismiss the fact that others may find it useful. :)

colintf
05-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Cruise control is very much a personal thing. On long trips it can come in very handy. I used to have CC on my Alfa and do miss it on the 260. So much even that I'm thinking of a retrofit. Having driven various rental cars on business trips I found CC can be used in the UK as well and makes travelling long distances on motorways less tiring.

Just because you don't like it you can't dismiss the fact that others may find it useful. :)

i do like it, b utonly if its a clear long open road, our motorways are too crowded to be called that

as I said for 15-20 years 60k a year, I think I am in a reasonable position to comment as to whether ort not it is "essential" or not!

woolleysox
05-09-2012, 10:45 PM
each to his/her own I use my cruise control a lot think its great.

stevenw
06-09-2012, 10:23 AM
[QUOTE=T16;123502]Why would you rather be without cruise control??

I have never used cruise control on vehicles that have them even on motorways as I find them totally unnecessary.

I accept that people have different preferences but to say it's essential is a bit like saying it's essential to have an automatic round town.

I would say why would you want it?I would rather be driving the car myself.

I think it should be an option for people who want it,but wouldn't want to pay for a car that has things on it which I don't want as obviously everything ends up getting charged to the customer in the end.

T16
06-09-2012, 03:33 PM
Obviously anyone who would put up with that for such a long distance is probably used to driving old classics, and thinks electric windows are modern, or that an accelerator pedal is a luxury.

On my many Euro trips, lack of cruise is incredibly irritating, as when you have it, it allows you to relax a lot more, and stretch your feet out and worry about other things, like where you are going and what you will be doing.

There is nothing more boring than constantly modulating/holding the throttle, and you end up with leg/knee ache after a long stint. It's not good for your health.

Cruise is also useful for long tunnels like Mont Blanc, where you can pin the car at the limit and not have to worry when going up/down hill.

If driving a little 2 seater MG on wobbly hydrolastic suspension thousands of mile across Europe is fun for you, then Cruise control is probably the least of your worries!

StephenL
06-09-2012, 03:44 PM
It's obviously a very personal thing. My Mk2 260 had Cruise and I really used to miss it when I drove my wife's car on motorway journeys. So much so, that it was on our list of essentials when looking for a replacement car for her. Agreed it's not to everyone's taste (and hence can't generally be called essential), but it is one of the features I'd expect to see on a top of the range car, rather than expect those who want it to pay for it as an option. Isn't that the point of a top of the range car, that it has a fair bit more than just the essentials?

Oh, and back to the topic - I used to drool over the photos of #216 in the gallery (https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=575) before I bought my red 260. If it'd been for sale a couple of years ago, I would have snapped it up!

stevenw
06-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Obviously anyone who would put up with that for such a long distance is probably used to driving old classics, and thinks electric windows are modern, or that an accelerator pedal is a luxury.

On my many Euro trips, lack of cruise is incredibly irritating, as when you have it, it allows you to relax a lot more, and stretch your feet out and worry about other things, like where you are going and what you will be doing.

There is nothing more boring than constantly modulating/holding the throttle, and you end up with leg/knee ache after a long stint. It's not good for your health.

Cruise is also useful for long tunnels like Mont Blanc, where you can pin the car at the limit and not have to worry when going up/down hill.

If driving a little 2 seater MG on wobbly hydrolastic suspension thousands of mile across Europe is fun for you, then Cruise control is probably the least of your worries!

I understand that if you have a bad knee obviously it might be helpful on a long journey.

As everybody else says it's personal preference.

I am used to driving modern vehicles and old classics.

My old Rover from the 1970s which I drove for 10 years had cruise control,electric windows,a throttle pedal and air-con.

Herman
06-09-2012, 06:23 PM
I understand that if you have a bad knee obviously it might be helpful on a long journey.

As everybody else says it's personal preference.

I am used to driving modern vehicles and old classics.

My old Rover from the 1970s which I drove for 10 years had cruise control,electric windows,a throttle pedal and air-con.

What, you're saying that brakes where optional :)

stevenw
06-09-2012, 07:50 PM
No it actually had other things as well that I haven't even mentioned!

Mind you the brakes weren't exactly that good.

T16
06-09-2012, 09:24 PM
So in short..

Just how easy is it retrofitting cruise to the V8's?

Was there a different loom for non SE cars that requires major wiring, or is all all there and its a case of get the bits and sort it with a T4 session?

I gather the diesels are pretty easy.

RedzedV8
12-10-2012, 03:25 PM
Have finally decided that #216 must go now as my newly arrived project demands some garage space! Any questions please ask................