PDA

View Full Version : bloody clutch!!!!

jamtheman
21-05-2012, 07:46 PM
hey there guys been a while since i have been on here and here is a wonderful problem for you all to look at!

Driving quickly saturday chasing a focus rs i had the unfortunate feel of the vibration of the pressure plate being felt through my clutch pedal! guess my release bearing has collapsed!! does anyone know the part numbers and supliers of replacement clutch kits and release bearings? all my usual sources through work dont even list the ar let alone the parts! many thanks guys hope u can help!

jamie with one very sad face due to 'beast' being off the road and resigned to driving the zs diesel we keep for spare.

colintf
21-05-2012, 07:50 PM
ask Brian up at Dreadnought :cool:

jamtheman
21-05-2012, 07:59 PM
lol i am getting to hate this car. maybe up for sale soon

Herman
21-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Part number for the slave cylinder is UUB000160 (http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-UUB000160)

Clutch is the same as a Mustang GT http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1415089,parttype,1993

Not sure if the slave comes with the bearing and don't know whether the Mustang bearing is the same.
The slave on the Mustang is definitely different.

jenksman
21-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Forgive me, am I missing something. Why should the slave come with the release bearing
A normal clutch set comprises three components, pressure plate, driven or friction plate and release bearing.
You might want to add a flywheel spigot bush for the first motion shaft spigot
Try "Real Steel" they do a lot of stuff for American cars and engines
Best of luck Dave

Herman
21-05-2012, 08:50 PM
With MG you never know.

When I bought my clutch it did come with release bearing but I didn't try to see whether it would fit.
Also didn't use the spigot bearing for that matter.

Apparently RealSteel do a clutch kit for approx £200 so if they have it might be worth a call.

I just like websites where I can pick things out of a cataloque and get it delivered :)

Still, I would be surprised if the release bearing collapsed.
Could be some springs or the pressure plate.

Also Nick (Austin Garages) mentioned when fitting my clutch that MG didn't always torqued all the bolts from the pressure plate to the flywheel so maybe that's the problem nas it will lead to vibration through the pedal

Bugger is that all of the above is an engine out job :(

AndyG
21-05-2012, 09:03 PM
If you haven't been told?:

Remove the engine and gear box,

Do not just remove the gear box alone. (It can/will damage the shafts inside the Gear box)

jamtheman
21-05-2012, 09:06 PM
thanks guys ill get on to the local manufacturers. it just annoys me tht getting bits for it is such a pain and to be honest it aint fast nor powerful! i love the car but think it may be up for sale very soon because its either sell it or supercharge it. i can buy a japanese piece of shit for cheap money that will blow it away and thats not good!!

tonybubble
21-05-2012, 09:13 PM
thanks guys ill get on to the local manufacturers. it just annoys me tht getting bits for it is such a pain and to be honest it aint fast nor powerful! i love the car but think it may be up for sale very soon because its either sell it or supercharge it. i can buy a japanese piece of shit for cheap money that will blow it away and thats not good!!

The parts for the clutch are the easy bit!

AndyG
21-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Why arn't you Green?

There are loads in the members section on the merits of the SC.

scooter
22-05-2012, 08:09 AM
Have all the bits in stock

Coasting
22-05-2012, 11:46 AM
And I think it is worth doing the spiggot bearing and possible other things at the same time whilst the engine is out...

colintf
22-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Have all the bits in stock

just as I expected :thumb

Martin
22-05-2012, 12:03 PM
Yep spiggot is a must did my input shaft and thats not good.............an't quick there is an answer for that.............

2V8s
23-05-2012, 11:21 AM
the clutch kit for a mstang GT 2003/2004 for sale at Real Steel in uxbridge has 4 parts:

pressure plate
friction plate
release bearing
engine side bearing

You dont need to use the release bearing as thats for standard mustang setup with release fork. Instead you need to source the slave cylinder in it's place (which has the bearing integral to it).

the engine side bearing (spigot?) you may as wel replace whilst you are there but isnt essential.

whilst you have gearbox off - check your rear main seal! any signs of weaping, replace also whilst you're there. they are known to leak.

Are you sure the vibration you talk of is clutch related though? They're pretty strong, not heard of one breaking up yet on a non-SC'd car. They're pretty understressed on a standard car. What's the mileage?

By the way - there is an access plate you can remove where the hydraulic pipe enters the bellhousing under the car - reomove this and you should be able to inspect inside to see if there are any signs of a problem before you go to the hassle of removing the gearbox which is a big job.

could it be an engine mount/gearbox mount?

jamtheman
23-05-2012, 11:45 AM
hey yeah def clutch problem you can hear the squeal and by the feel of it the release bearing is making the noise on the pressure plate. it is a bit odd but thats life! and hey could be worse coulde been the box! need to rip the box out and see what other damage has been done to it! but the clutch was horrible and notchy and it needed changing.

flyinggrocer
30-07-2012, 04:42 AM
As mentioned on a previous thread, whilst having a tussle with a Focus RS my clutch completely broke up, leaving no friction material on the steel clutch plate at all. Inspection of the fragments showed virtually no wear at all from the previous 35000 miles.
Clearly these plates are not perfect.
As a point of interest regarding the comments on performance, until the clutch broke up the Focus was unable to overtake on a clear straight road.