PDA

View Full Version : Suspension components

JakeWilson
18-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Evening all,

because I am a cheap skate, I've been looking at the most 'cost effective' way to replace the suspension on my Diesel (75) Tourer to ZT-T Spec (140k on orignal components) Genuine Delphi kits seem to be rather on the pricey side, but have seen some V8 Kits on the bay for more realistic figures.

I understand that naturally as the drivetrain was moved from FWD to RWD, there are going to be some differences, but are the dampers sufficiently different so that they wouldn't work?

Cheers all,

Jake

2V8s
18-05-2012, 10:29 PM
I would think the fronts might fit but the brackets for the brake line connections to the calipers will be front to back i think. the actual dampers / Macpherson struts are probably the same. Maybe you can turn them through 180 deg and they will be OK, not sure. As otherwisem the front end suspension is more of less the same on the ZT v8 as others excpet for the steering linkage being forward of the axle line as opposed to rearward in the rest of the zt/75 line and also therefore the brake calipers are the opposite side and the brake line routing is different. but the lower ams etc are the same suggesting the knuckles are pretty similar.

Merl
21-05-2012, 01:13 AM
Jake I was speaking to alan about this as was saying I might have my used ones for sale but didn't know if they would fit with them being different stuff ups...

Basically I was going to ask nick when I see him but my car is having issues as usuall.... so not sure what is happening at the minute

JakeWilson
21-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Afternoon Gents and apologies for the delay in replying. Interesting about the front struts being the other way around. The search continues, but I am not in a tear-arsing rush, just trying to do it with the best compromise between price and quality.

Martin - would be interested in hearing what Nick has to say!

Best,

Jake

Merl
21-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Hi Jake,

Yeah not compatible sorry Jake. I had a look while I was there as the rear's were totally reworked with the subframe as you can see where they were fitted at the rear on the front wheel drive car (they just left the mounts there...) and where the rear subframe places them now.

Herman
21-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Afternoon Gents and apologies for the delay in replying. Interesting about the front struts being the other way around. The search continues, but I am not in a tear-arsing rush, just trying to do it with the best compromise between price and quality.

Martin - would be interested in hearing what Nick has to say!

Best,

Jake

I think the front will fit. It's just the brake caliper that mounted opposite to the 260. Other than that it's similar to the 190 set-up.
Having the brake-calipers mounted the opposite way shouldn't affect the routing from the wheel arch to the hub via the shock. It just the last bit that goes either forward or back pending caliper mounting.

Looking at Rave for the normal ZT, I think there is a very good change the rear shocks will fit as well. The mounting position in the boot and positioning on the hub seems to be similar. Not sure about the uncompressed lenght though

Merl
21-05-2012, 06:47 PM
I think the front will fit. It's just the brake caliper that mounted opposite to the 260. Other than that it's similar to the 190 set-up.
Having the brake-calipers mounted the opposite way shouldn't affect the routing from the wheel arch to the hub via the shock. It just the last bit that goes either forward or back pending caliper mounting.

Looking at Rave for the normal ZT, I think there is a very good change the rear shocks will fit as well. The mounting position in the boot and positioning on the hub seems to be similar. Not sure about the uncompressed lenght though

The front might but there is quite a bit of difference at the rear and the subframe is lower than the original mounting place. I should have taken a photo while I was under it this afternoon. best way to describe it would be looking at the subframe mounting position at being 12 oclock and the original one being at 1 oclock and a good few inches higher up.

Herman
21-05-2012, 07:44 PM
The front might but there is quite a bit of difference at the rear and the subframe is lower than the original mounting place. I should have taken a photo while I was under it this afternoon. best way to describe it would be looking at the subframe mounting position at being 12 oclock and the original one being at 1 oclock and a good few inches higher up.

I tried to picture how it was but, all I could make out is that the top mounting in the boot is the same but there maybe a difference at the hub as the normal ZT has the damper bolted to the rear of the trailing arm. Hence the reference to uncompressed lenght.