PDA

View Full Version : Supercharging a 75 V8

MrDoodles
24-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Quick question chaps, as I've been lurking for a while! :)

Has anyone ever fitted a Supercharger to a 75 V8, as I was under the impression that the gearbox was marginal for the increase in Torque? :confused:

Any comments most welcome! :)

colintf
24-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Hi and welcome.

I would guess there would be all sorts of mapping issues as well.

:cool:

AndyG
24-04-2012, 06:12 PM
I would guess there would be all sorts of mapping issues as well.

WELCOME :D

List of possible 260s Meetings (https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?10220-260-events-and-other-notable-MG-related-event-dates-2012-onwards) (in the Public Section).

Two-sixties Blog (http://two-sixties-blog.com/) (in the Public Section)

BTCC Media Day (https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?10763-BTCC-Media-Day-(Public-Thread))(in the Public Section)
BTCC Brands Hatch 2012 (https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?10843-BTCC-Brands-Hatch-1st-April-2012-Photos) (in the Public Section)

Needs a map that has not been done, it would need 20+ fitting to make it viable.

Herman
24-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Quick question chaps, as I've been lurking for a while! :)

Has anyone ever fitted a Supercharger to a 75 V8, as I was under the impression that the gearbox was marginal for the increase in Torque? :confused:

Any comments most welcome! :)

Fitting the S/C is the easy part. Getting the mapping right for the Autobox ECU may prove difficult.
Having said that, everything is possible with the right amount of money.

MrDoodles
24-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the prompt replies guys! :)

So for all intents and purposes then, it's a non-starter then! :(

Looks like a ZT then! :D

colintf
24-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the prompt replies guys! :)

So for all intents and purposes then, it's a non-starter then! :(

Looks like a ZT then! :D

my personal opinion, and I am no expert, sure someone may be able to coble one togther, but unless the mapping is 100% spot on, would it last long? I very much doubt it. I believe Dreadnought spent a lot of time and effort ensuring that their mapping was correct :cool:

Tim
24-04-2012, 08:05 PM
You could go for a supercharged ZT and convert the internal trim and kit from a R75.

MrDoodles
24-04-2012, 10:29 PM
You could go for a supercharged ZT and convert the internal trim and kit from a R75.

No, I prefer the ZT to the 75 anyway, it just came up in the Thread on the other site, over that 75 V8 that's For Sale after the guy died and it was mentioned that the 75 could be Supercharged and I didn't think that the autobox was strong enough to take the extra torque! :ash

Is it that same as used in the same era Mustang then? :confused:

Herman
24-04-2012, 10:57 PM
No, I prefer the ZT to the 75 anyway, it just came up in the Thread on the other site, over that 75 V8 that's For Sale after the guy died and it was mentioned that the 75 could be Supercharged and I didn't think that the autobox was strong enough to take the extra torque! :ash

Is it that same as used in the same era Mustang then? :confused:

Ah, that one that's on ebay as well. The box can probably take it but the problem is that there is no proper map available for the autobox.

Cribbit
26-04-2012, 12:11 AM
Surely the auto box map is simple, just use 5th, everywhere...

Its about all I do with mine now. Sounds like a big-block v8 down around 500rpm!

Herman
26-04-2012, 07:21 AM
Surely the auto box map is simple, just use 5th, everywhere...

Its about all I do with mine now. Sounds like a big-block v8 down around 500rpm!

Isn't it a 4-speed auto with o/d ?

scooter
29-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Sean And I looked at the possibility of doing the auto but the biggest problem is the torque controlled changes incorporated in the ecu. All things are possible in time but the expense of all the developement to get the correct refinement on the road makes it a non starter. If you fitted our kit to an auto box car it would be into top at about 400rpm due to the torque/load of our blown engine. The box valving would probably have to be changed as well it would be never ending to try and get it right. Sean's comment was " we are not going there" I have had to say sorry to three customers who wanted to blow there Rover V8 Auto cars

MrDoodles
01-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Following on from my original post, can I ask what gearbox was fitted on the 75 V8's?

The only reason I ask, is that if you buy the full Kenne Bell kit, it comes with a chip for the auto box, so clearly works with the Mustang auto box, or is it a different gearbox/ECU? :confused::confused:

Herman
01-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Although it may look tempting it is not always that straight forward.
The chip that plugs into the J3 port is probably OK for the Mustang.

I wouldn't run it in the UK due to the difference in fuel and probably other things as well.

Eventhough there are some successful convertions with the ZT i wouldn't say the same applies for the 75

As always it takes someone to take the plunge but the fact that Sean and Brian stayed clear of it is a good indicator.