PDA

View Full Version : Air Bags and noise.

Ken B
08-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Hi, No 75 went through its MOT today and passed, however She has Air Bag problems. The connections under the seat have been checked. The scanner reads the following faults,
1. Side curtain airbag left high resistance on firing circuit.
2. Side airbag left short to ground on firing circuit.
If anyone has any ideas they would be much appreciated.

The car has developed a noise, its a buzz or low frequency wine that only appears once everything is up to operating temperature and only noticeable once you give it some welly.
this noise then fades after a few minuets of low rev driving. I have now asked two different mechanics to try and pinpoint it but both have not got a clue, although one suggested it might be something to do with the intake system. The noise is coming from the rear of the engine/gear box area. Any ideas?

Your input would be much appreciated
Ken...

Grahamcfc
09-03-2012, 10:16 AM
Hi Ken,

If you have checked the wiring under the seats you have to work your way back to the ECU, may have got damp in a connector / plug.

I am coming to Colchester to visit my daughter next weekend, although not a machanic if you want someone else to listen to the noise from the engine PM me a contact number & I'll give you ring when up there.

Graham.

gjt100
09-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Hi Ken B,

The wine could well be the aircon compressor on the way out.

If you press the economy button on the dash and the noise stops then that will most likely be it.

Regards

Graham

Ken B
10-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Hi Graham gjt100 thanks for the reply but it's not the AC compressor, makes no differance on or off. thanks anyway.
Hi Graham cfc Thanks for your reply also, Would like to take you up on your offer if you could spare 10 minuites next Sunday. Ill pm you my mobile number shortly.
Regards Ken...

WNJ516
10-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Those 2 fault codes would to me point to bad/faulty contacts in their connections, I'd follow through on those connections after first disconecting the battery and leaving the car for at least 20mins for the circuit capacitors to discharge, then take the seat out to get a good view access to the connections under the seat, you might want to loosen and remove the seat bolts 4 in all before disconnecting the battery.

scooter
15-03-2012, 11:48 PM
Do not use a multimeter to check resistance on any of the airbag circuits unless all airbags and components are dissconnected.

Ken B
16-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Thanks Scooter was'nt going to test them I'll be leaving that to the garage, I will be re-checking the connectors though.
Ken...

Ken B
24-05-2012, 10:26 PM
No 75 had oil and filter change last week and the noise has gone. I also had the gearbox and diff oil changed, the diff was almost empty as the plug was loose and had been leaking, just as well I do'nt do many miles.
The noise must have been something to do with the oil pump and filter, mind you I have now got Mobil 1 in. I spent the weekend in Broadstairs Kent so she had a good run and ran very well.
Ken...

black olive
25-05-2012, 10:26 AM
if the noise is inside the car it could be that you dont have a restrictor fitted near the heater valve, and this is likey if the top hose has been relaced as a non 260 mechanic doesnt know there's one in there. this causes excess flow in the heater matrix and a buzzing/sizzling sound under hard acceleration. restrictors are buyable from the shop

ColinE
26-05-2012, 09:42 PM
if the noise is inside the car it could be that you dont have a restrictor fitted near the heater valve, and this is likey if the top hose has been relaced as a non 260 mechanic doesnt know there's one in there. this causes excess flow in the heater matrix and a buzzing/sizzling sound under hard acceleration. restrictors are buyable from the shop

Someone mention the shop............

Ken B
22-03-2015, 09:48 AM
An update. Well some 3 years later and this noise still keeps coming back, it only happens once the engine is hot and only when welly is applied. Now as i wrote previously with an oil and filter change this noise dissapears completly as it has again with the recent oil and filter change. My plan from now going forward is to carry out oil and filter changes at 3000 mile intervals.
Just got to sort out the rear end clunking and knocking now thats more of a worry. Mot next week...