PDA

View Full Version : Possible problem

monty48
28-02-2012, 09:40 PM
unsure if I have a rear spring broken or somthing else but, when I take a righthand corner the rear wants to come around to meet the front ! tracton control on and at low speed (30ish) any ideas or help would be great Thanks

Herman
28-02-2012, 09:55 PM
unsure if I have a rear spring broken or somthing else but, when I take a righthand corner the rear wants to come around to meet the front ! tracton control on and at low speed (30ish) any ideas or help would be great Thanks

Not sure a broken spring would provoke that reaction. Worn rear tyre or heavy right foot might :)

If it only happened once I wouldn't worry, could be diesel spill. If happening all the time it may be something else.

monty48
28-02-2012, 10:09 PM
All tyres good (front & back) and as I say going slow - happend on a couple of corners on the way home, did notice a full leak on the ground when pulled in the drive (filled up when I was Out ) could it be possible the fuel may have got on the tyres ? have checked the springs and they look OK -- gave me a bit of a surprise !!

Terry
29-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Hi, is the fuel pump sealing ring leaking on top of the fuel tank?Fuel could be leaking on the road as you corner, worth checking to be sure.

monty48
29-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Thanks Terry
Would that ring be on the top of the filter under the back seat as well ? sorry to be so dim but a bit new to all this

Thanks Andrew

Terry
29-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Thanks Terry
Would that ring be on the top of the filter under the back seat as well ? sorry to be so dim but a bit new to all this

Thanks Andrew
No not dim, we all have to start somewhere, yes this is accessed under the rear seat passenger side, mine was leaking when I got mine. Maybe because someone has checked/fitted the orange clip to the fuel pump and has not put it back properly. Hope this helps and hope you are enjoying your ownership as much as I am.
Terry.

Herman
29-02-2012, 06:14 PM
No not dim, we all have to start somewhere, yes this is accessed under the rear seat passenger side, mine was leaking when I got mine. Maybe because someone has checked/fitted the orange clip to the fuel pump and has not put it back properly. Hope this helps and hope you are enjoying your ownership as much as I am.
Terry.

The seal is a bugger to fit properly. It will leak when the tank is filled to the brim. Had the same on mine and after filling up there was always a smell of fuel in the car until the level went down to about 3/4 full.

Definitely worth checking, but would be amazed if it would lead to the problem you're describing.

Car does step sideways easy enough already in tight corners with a decent amount of throttle.
If it only happens in right hand corners maybe checking the alignment and camber is not a bad idea.

Also check the tyre pressures (34 psi front, 36 rear rear)

monty48
29-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Thanks Terry
Have now got home to check , opened the cover under rear seat no fuel around the filter (also not orange clip that I could See) will have to make the toll to remove the filter to see from top - but under the car (under rear seat) I think looks like the tank with a red pipe leading away, this tank covered in fuel so looks like leaking from this area (only covered 20miles and near 1/4 tank gone) so think leak could be fair bit (this tank? is next just about to rear near side wheel) could be cause of the sliding about last night !!

Will get over a pit ASAP to check / mend Thanks Andrew

Herman
29-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Thanks Terry
Have now got home to check , opened the cover under rear seat no fuel around the filter (also not orange clip that I could See) will have to make the toll to remove the filter to see from top - but under the car (under rear seat) I think looks like the tank with a red pipe leading away, this tank covered in fuel so looks like leaking from this area (only covered 20miles and near 1/4 tank gone) so think leak could be fair bit (this tank? is next just about to rear near side wheel) could be cause of the sliding about last night !!

Will get over a pit ASAP to check / mend Thanks Andrew

Fuel clip info here https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?8885-The-famous-orange-clip

Red pipe sounds more like the main power cable running from the boot to the fuse box.

20 miles on 1/4 tank must be a record or like you said, major leak.
You would be able to smell the petrol when leaking that much

monty48
29-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Fuel clip info here https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?8885-The-famous-orange-clip

Red pipe sounds more like the main power cable running from the boot to the fuse box.

20 miles on 1/4 tank must be a record or like you said, major leak.
You would be able to smell the petrol when leaking that much Yes i can smell the petrol both inside and outside the car and as I said put my hand across the Tank? and my hand covered in fuel , will need to get over a pit to check from the bottom and take out the filter form the top to see about the clip and seal
Andrew

colintf
29-02-2012, 07:02 PM
good job you spotted it now, and not later :cool:

monty48
29-02-2012, 07:08 PM
The seal is a bugger to fit properly. It will leak when the tank is filled to the brim. Had the same on mine and after filling up there was always a smell of fuel in the car until the level went down to about 3/4 full.

Definitely worth checking, but would be amazed if it would lead to the problem you're describing.

Car does step sideways easy enough already in tight corners with a decent amount of throttle.
If it only happens in right hand corners maybe checking the alignment and camber is not a bad idea.

Also check the tyre pressures (34 psi front, 36 rear rear) have checked the tyre's and no loss of presure from last week so that;s OK - last night went over a high sleeping policeman maybe this has knocked the tracking out ( only had it checked last week) possible cause of sideways slide, car has felt so sure footed before round corners and all ! Andrew

Coasting
29-02-2012, 08:14 PM
I wouldnt drive it at all if you are loosing fuel, apart from the obvious potential for an accident you could cause other accidents and be sued!

Ideally get it trailered to a garage if you cant do it yourself, but I wouldnt take any chances if there is that much fuel going adrift....

Years ago I had an old (old even then) Audi quattro (old C Reg) and a fuel line rusted through, I was quite lucky not to go up in flames and there was a big puddle under the car when parked, I trailered it...

Can you see fuel on the floor when the car has been stood?

monty48
29-02-2012, 08:30 PM
I wouldnt drive it at all if you are loosing fuel, apart from the obvious potential for an accident you could cause other accidents and be sued!

Ideally get it trailered to a garage if you cant do it yourself, but I wouldnt take any chances if there is that much fuel going adrift....

Years ago I had an old (old even then) Audi quattro (old C Reg) and a fuel line rusted through, I was quite lucky not to go up in flames and there was a big puddle under the car when parked, I trailered it...

Can you see fuel on the floor when the car has been stood? No Fuel on the floor only around the tank - did see some om the floor last night think that it's not so bad now that the tank has gone down a bit , have room at home to work on so will get them to come to me
Thanks Andrew

Herman
29-02-2012, 08:36 PM
No Fuel on the floor only around the tank - did see some om the floor last night think that it's not so bad now that the tank has gone down a bit , have room at home to work on so will get them to come to me
Thanks Andrew

More and more convinced it the filter seal. as I had the same problem.
When the tank gets empty the smell well go and the mileage seems to go up.

When checking remember: no open lights, well ventilated and no smoking

Normally a full tank has less fumes (which is the bit that ignites) but I did mine with an almost empty tank to prevent splling too much when taking the filter assembly out.

Just be carefull when working in that area please

monty48
29-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the advice - will be geting a fitter fom work to do the work - used to working on difficult stuff and has re build a few cars as well so think its in good hands (looks after My TR6 as well) so hope this will not cause him any problems.

Thanks Andrew

monty48
01-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Think we may have cracked it ! fitted new filter seals and tank/ fiter housing seal and metal retaining ring ( + New orange clip) looks like this may have done the trick, filled up to brim( when found a garage with some fuel) and all looks OK after 25 miles . no leaks inside or out (+ fuel guage has yet to move !!) Thanks for all help with this problem PS sorry to take so long to do the job but think it's worth the wait

Andrew

colintf
01-04-2012, 10:44 PM
Think we may have cracked it ! fitted new filter seals and tank/ fiter housing seal and metal retaining ring ( + New orange clip) looks like this may have done the trick, filled up to brim( when found a garage with some fuel) and all looks OK after 25 miles . no leaks inside or out (+ fuel guage has yet to move !!) Thanks for all help with this problem PS sorry to take so long to do the job but think it's worth the wait

Andrew

thats good news Andrew :thumb