PDA

View Full Version : Why is it still for sale ?

B8JBB
24-02-2012, 11:42 PM
Hi there...
i`ve already posted on here regarding the nightfire red saloon that was on autotrader, but forgot to say that i`m currently looking for an affordable 260..... so i`m looking at the green facelift for sale by Monty`s of Penarth on Pistonheads.. It`s been there for weeks, and i know it`s done 99,000 miles, but i`m a bit unsure as to why it`s not been snapped up at its price.... does anyone know if it`s got a hidden `history` or something...?
in case you`re interested, I`ve now had my 75 facelift cdti tourer for 4 years and still love it, but i really really really want a 260 as my fun car...As you might see in the avatar, i`ve got a marina 1.8 tc coupe, which i`m sadly selling along with my 110 county landy to fund the car, so a big step for me, and hopefully i`m doing the right thing ! (got an Alfa Spider too, but keeping that !!)
Many thanks folks...
Jim

Coasting
25-02-2012, 12:14 AM
Not sure why it is still for sale, but it was for still for sale at Montys when I bought mine in November 2010!!!!!!

Trouble is, being on 99k, the minute it goes over 100k its a different car, phsycological factor!

Merl
25-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Ohhh it has xpowers.... wonder if they want to sell them seperately....

I honestly don't know sorry, where abouts are you in the country in relation to it? do you know the vin number?

BU reg number could indicate an ex press car or not...

B8JBB
25-02-2012, 12:39 AM
Im in the middle of scotland between Glasgow and Edinburgh so not really close enough just to have a eee look at it. i think i can see some green overspray on the nearside silencer, and maybe very subyle differences in colour ftom panel to bumpers....not sure though...
i really like it, just a tad wary....

Merl
25-02-2012, 12:46 AM
Bit of a trek... I know a few people who have done similar journeys... but it is a long way. I was going to head cardiff way for my exhausts to be done if I couldn't pick up a set of xpowers but that won't be for another month probably... or at very earliest a couple of weeks...

jenksman
25-02-2012, 03:29 AM
Hi Martin
Who does exhausts in Cardiff?
Is it "Long Life"?
Dave

MP1
25-02-2012, 08:48 AM
I noticed this car when I was looking & the mileage did put me off & I didn't see any mention of a service history which at that mileage would of given me piece of mind. I got my 260 with half that mileage with excellent history for similar money so don't rush into buying one, take your time & the right one will come along + your best bet is to place a wanted add on here. It worked for me!

MP1
25-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Just read the advert again on his site & it has got full service history, done every 6k!

Merl
25-02-2012, 09:10 AM
Hi Martin
Who does exhausts in Cardiff?
Is it "Long Life"?
Dave

Ooh are those x powers too loud for you Dave ;)
It is a company called prospeed and it is all custom from British steel etc... Wynn aka eurorover uses them.

Martin
25-02-2012, 02:31 PM
I think you have to think more like the yanks ie they want there cars to return high mileages on the engine it's said they are good for 250k and are not fully fun in until 30-50k I can sort of agree with that as mine returned better R/R figures at at a later mileage. So don't be put off to much by the figures but do ues them to barter the price down though;)

colintf
25-02-2012, 02:38 PM
I've not heard good things about them, especially poor after sales service!!

:cool:

Ken B
25-02-2012, 03:49 PM
That car has been up for sale since last March, It was one of three cars for sale when I brought number 75 last year.
This is the car

B8JBB
25-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Well, it looks like i`ll go with MP1 `s advice, and bide my time until the right one comes along.
I`m not overly concerned about the colour, but would like an SE if possible, and of course a history. I haven`t had the opportunity to try one out yet, but if there was anyone in the area here (midway between Edinburgh and Glasgow) that could spare a minute to chat about their car, be driven in it etc, that`d be great !
Anyway, please keep me in mind folks if you hear of anything coming up...
Jim

colintf
25-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Well, it looks like i`ll go with MP1 `s advice, and bide my time until the right one comes along.
I`m not overly concerned about the colour, but would like an SE if possible, and of course a history. I haven`t had the opportunity to try one out yet, but if there was anyone in the area here (midway between Edinburgh and Glasgow) that could spare a minute to chat about their car, be driven in it etc, that`d be great !
Jim

good idea, there's plenty about :thumb

MP1
25-02-2012, 05:58 PM
The advantage of buying one off someone on here is that it will be known to the forum & it's owner knows how these cars work so good chance all the common problems will of been sorted.

spartacus
25-02-2012, 06:05 PM
There is actually a nice BRG one for sale somewhere hereabouts - I'd go for it if I didn't already have one, love the BRG.

colintf
25-02-2012, 06:40 PM
There is actually a nice BRG one for sale somewhere hereabouts - I'd go for it if I didn't already have one, love the BRG.

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/showthread.php?10573-2003-zt260se-for-sale

I think :thumb

Mattlz
25-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Test drove it about 6 weeks ago and it's very tired, stone chips galore, kerbed alloys the boot seal had been removed to put on another car they had sold! Plus the x powers do not come with the car the salesman "Tristan" insisted the standard rear boxes were going back on!It was filthy inside and upon giving it a test drive I was instructed to "really boot it in second second it makes a loud banging noise as you change up corrr!!!!!"In short - avoid.

colintf
25-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Test drove it about 6 weeks ago and it's very tired, stone chips galore, kerbed alloys the boot seal had been removed to put on another car they had sold! Plus the x powers do not come with the car the salesman "Tristan" insisted the standard rear boxes were going back on!It was filthy inside and upon giving it a test drive I was instructed to "really boot it in second second it makes a loud banging noise as you change up corrr!!!!!"In short - avoid.

Hi and welcome.

thanks for the info :thumb

Herman
25-02-2012, 08:33 PM

Sounds like a normal dealer then :)

Martin
25-02-2012, 08:58 PM

Understand were your coming from mine had and still has a large clonk in 2nd gear (the diff is prone to it) you will learn to drive with this. They all do it to some point or another, I have had a gear box rebuild due to spigot bearing failing the cars do not feel or sound like a fully tested and run car 800 approx built these are virtually hand built they need treating with clonks, bangs and wind noise as they are the norm.
With all these faults on mine I had the S/C fitted and she has been as good as gold that's 417bhp and now 488 ftlbs of torque, tell me another engine that can go from one spec to another like this.
The cars ARE unique and should be treated as such what bangs on one won't on another, one cannot one say with any certainty what is or not with any individual car it is at best only a guess unless you are Nick at Austins or Scooter.

The upshot is if you wait you will miss buy now (as I did ) and make the car your own ,but always, but always, be prepaid to spend money

ksilver
25-02-2012, 09:45 PM
Jim

Bit further north than you but there are a couple down around Edinburgh/Glasgow.

As already said it may be difficult to get one perfect, they are fairly individual and even the newest ones will be seven years old. If it's not perfect take it up to Brian (Scooter on here) at Dreadnought in Callender and he'll get it sorted for you.

jenksman
26-02-2012, 05:00 AM
I've not heard good things about them, especially poor after sales service!!

Bit further north than you but there are a couple down around Edinburgh/Glasgow.

As already said it may be difficult to get one perfect, they are fairly individual and even the newest ones will be seven years old. If it's not perfect take it up to Brian (Scooter on here) at Dreadnought in Callender and he'll get it sorted for you.

Ooh are those x powers too loud for you Dave ;)
It is a company called prospeed and it is all custom from British steel etc... Wynn aka eurorover uses them.

Not heard of Prospeed,ifI get a chance I 'll check them out
I had dealings with Long Life exhausts in Cardiff
They fabricated a complete exhaust system on my Toyota Hilux import and did a terrific job
They had good workshop facilities but this facility is now closed and they no longer operate from the Cardiff address
They or maybe another franchise holder have premises in Caerphilly which are nowhere near as good
But, wait for it, they have facilities all over the place, check them out on google
As well as doing standard ss exhausts they seem to specialize in replacing cat converters on performance cars
There may be an outlet near you that could replicate a st of Xpowers
It's worth checking them out, but a lot will depend on their workshop facilities
Best of luck
Dave

colintf
26-02-2012, 09:52 AM
They fabricated a complete exhaust system on my Toyota Hilux import and did a terrific job
They had good workshop facilities but this facility is now closed and they no longer operate from the Cardiff address
They or maybe another franchise holder have premises in Caerphilly which are nowhere near as good
But, wait for it, they have facilities all over the place, check them out on google
As well as doing standard ss exhausts they seem to specialize in replacing cat converters on performance cars
It's worth checking them out, but a lot will depend on their workshop facilities
Best of luck
Dave

just to make it perfectly clear, I was reffering to Monty's (the car dealer selling the 260 in question) not Prospeed!

The above post could be read that i was reffering to Prospeed.

Merl
26-02-2012, 09:59 AM
just to make it perfectly clear, I was reffering to Monty's (the car dealer selling the 260 in question) not Prospeed!

The above post could be read that i was reffering to Prospeed.

I knew what you mean't Col ;)

I'm wondering with Dave posting at 3am and 5am if he is a hardcore clubber ;) :~ Must be a good night out in that part of the woods!!!

Merl
26-02-2012, 10:02 AM
Best of luck
Dave

I'm thinking it might be the same guy as Charlie at Prospeed came from South Africa and help setup and train up some rivals.... trying to remember what we discussed on the phone ages ago and not sure if he mentioned longlife but becuase the steel quality went downhill he broke away... could be someone else I am thinking of.... his old address was city road in Cardiff itself if that helps! moved from there to currentl location in June last year.

colintf
26-02-2012, 10:10 AM
I knew what you mean't Col ;)

I'm wondering with Dave posting at 3am and 5am if he is a hardcore clubber ;) :~ Must be a good night out in that part of the woods!!!

we just need to be very careful what we say, that we don't misquote people, or have posts that can be read in more than one way, where a company is nemed, as this is the PUBLIC section of this forum!!

jenksman
26-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Hi guys
Sorry about mix up, we seem to have two topics entwined here. I was replying to Merl's comments about exhausts
Long Life exhausts were located in Atlantic Way(from memory) not City Road
I was really impressed by them, but when I looked for them last May to do the tail pipes on 110 the facility had closed down
As I said they may be doing business in your neck of the woods
Moi "hardcore clubber" more like "inveterate insomniac"
Dave