PDA

View Full Version : Possible purchase

monty48
24-01-2012, 05:43 PM
have contacted a seller about possible purchase he has given me some information about the car including that the air bag light is on think I have read this before but would be greatful if anyone can shead any light on this for me THANKS

tonybubble
24-01-2012, 05:48 PM
have contacted a seller about possible purchase he has given me some information about the car including that the air bag light is on think I have read this before but would be greatful if anyone can shead any light on this for me THANKS

Not a big issue, usually connectors under one of the front seats. Good luck!

stevemiller
24-01-2012, 05:54 PM
The connections under the seat are the usual suspects. My car suffers from the same but a little wiggle will clear the warning light normally. I have read that the bag will not deploy if the light is illuminated but I have read other wise also. The fix is to reconnect the under seat wiring with new terminal via block or male female connection and bin the original. If you wish to do this make sure the car has been switched of for a number of minutes to allow the electrics to discharge.

I will at some time get round to this but wiggling seems to work for me so far.

monty48
24-01-2012, 05:58 PM
thanks gents will have a look under the seat when I go to have a look

colintf
24-01-2012, 06:18 PM
good luck with your viewing. Whereabouts are you? :cool:

James C
24-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Mine was just down to chaffing in the wires where they double back on themselves rather than the connectors. Bit of insulation tape and it's been fine and dandy for the past 8 months since I did it!

monty48
24-01-2012, 06:33 PM
good luck with your viewing. Whereabouts are you? :cool: I am in the south hams about 15 Miles from Plymouth

colintf
24-01-2012, 06:44 PM
I am in the south hams about 15 Miles from Plymouth

good to see it potentially staying in the Westcountry then :thumb

monty48
24-01-2012, 06:47 PM
good to see it potentially staying in the Westcountry then :thumb Thanks Will keep You posted

monty48
24-01-2012, 06:54 PM
good to see it potentially staying in the Westcountry then :thumb See You are a member of TSSC whats your vehicle? i have 1969 TR6 Royal Blue UK injection .

colintf
24-01-2012, 07:03 PM
See You are a member of TSSC whats your vehicle? i have 1969 TR6 Royal Blue UK injection .

very nice.

Was brought up with a 47 MG TC, a '59 948 Herald and a '62 1600 Vitesse conv.

I sold my Triumphs back in 2002 / 3 to fund the purchase of my new TF160 (a one spec'd off factory built car - but that's another story!) Had

'69 Mk2 Vitesses Convertible tuined to 125/130 hp ish. There's a pic of me in it on the new edition of Practical Classic asbout to hit the shops soon.
'66 Vitesse 1600 saloon
'75 2500S saloon
'81 Acclaim bought 3 days before the 2002 Round Briatain Run in aid of MS (2000 miles London - John O Groats - Lands End - London in 48 hours) We were the 3rd car to finish despite stopping on the m25 hard shoulder to help a damsel in distress out in a herald!

Happy days. The 2.5S went to LeMans in 2002. The Convertible to the Dutch/German border in '99. And took a 13/60 Herald Estate to Brittany in 2002 - full of beer on the return trip :thumb

:cool:

tonybubble
24-01-2012, 07:21 PM
See You are a member of TSSC whats your vehicle? i have 1969 TR6 Royal Blue UK injection .

That's a very early TR6. I had a 1972 one for 21 years and also a 220 BHP 1968 TR5 (mainly fibre glass) for a while - both somewhat missed, the latter was very quick. :D

colintf
24-01-2012, 07:24 PM
That's a very early TR6. I had a 1972 one for 21 years and also a 220 BHP 1968 TR5 (mainly fibre glass) for a while - both somewhat missed, the latter was very quick. :D

just in a straight line Tony or did it handle well around corners as well? :thumb

tonybubble
24-01-2012, 08:10 PM
just in a straight line Tony or did it handle well around corners as well? :thumb

Very very good around the corners too - sometimes too good for the driver. ;) ;)

Still being used in the Sprint/Hill Climb Championships, I believe.

colintf
24-01-2012, 08:11 PM
a well sorted TR5 then :thumb

AndyG
24-01-2012, 08:14 PM
have contacted a seller about possible purchase he has given me some information about the car

Do you have a VIN please.

colintf
24-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Do you have a VIN please.

it's #494 Andy 99% sure of that, and I see its not on your supercharged listing hence my post on that thread of yours as well with the VIN #494

:cool:

monty48
24-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Do you have a VIN please. sorry for being so slow - no don't have the vin no or much information as yet - have only e mailed Ben with enquiry so far hope to view the car in next day or so so may have more information then

tonybubble
24-01-2012, 08:33 PM
a well sorted TR5 then :thumb

Just found a recent picture here:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5225/5628445233_35596c34ba_z.jpg

colintf
24-01-2012, 09:11 PM
looks great Tony :thumb I love the TR5 & 6 :cool:

monty48
24-01-2012, 09:12 PM
That's a very early TR6. I had a 1972 one for 21 year roads whrn the sun is out s and also a 220 BHP 1968 TR5 (mainly fibre glass) for a while - both somewhat missed, the latter was very quick. :D Only 150 BHP on mine (when at three figures and the brake is pressed can go either way) so think thats enough. Pleasure to drive the devon lanes when the sun comes out through.

monty48
24-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Have now arranged to see the car wednesday (just hope the wife has a good day) !!

Herman
24-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Have now arranged to see the car wednesday (just hope the wife has a good day) !!

£50 M&S voucher to spend on Thursday should do the trick :)

monty48
24-01-2012, 10:27 PM
£50 M&S voucher to spend on Thursday should do the trick :) £50 I should coco !!

colintf
25-01-2012, 12:15 PM

good luck for tomorrow :thumb

bleeperman
25-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Likewise,
Dont worry about airbag, but mine is going to be a seat out job the electric seat mech has nearly decapitated the whole loom!
A good tip is if fuse 27 blows and you have no vent blower get in there quick!

stevenw
25-01-2012, 02:45 PM
looks great Tony :thumb I love the TR5 & 6 :cool:

I remember a car just down the road from me having the registration number TR 5 but it wasn't on a TR5 unfortunately

Grahamcfc
26-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Hi Monty

I spoke to Ben after you were viewing it to see if you bought it, apparently not, I was interested as thinking of fitting a S/C to mine.

Any feed back on the car, it was being viewed this afternoon, so may have gone.

Graham

monty48
27-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Hi Monty

I spoke to Ben after you were viewing it to see if you bought it, apparently not, I was interested as thinking of fitting a S/C to mine.

Any feed back on the car, it was being viewed this afternoon, so may have gone.

Graham Sorry Graham have only just got this question - car has full service history with local garage (same as purchased from) all other paper work fits including the fact that the owner sold and then re purchased the car in 2007 ! as far as I could see both car & owner both very honestand although I am not that hot on mechinacals (would have had inspection done on it) so not able to tell you to much. All I can say is during test drive car felt tight and firm and the charger pulled very well from about 3000
not sure if this helps(didn't help much with the wife!!) Thanks Andrew

Grahamcfc
27-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Thanks Andrew,

I've heard nothing from Ben so I guess he sold it. I'm happy with the condition of mine & it has all the optional extras, having refurbed the wheels, fitted a accufab & had a new front bumper, radiator etc from my wifes accident in the summer, its pretty up together. I will super charge it at sometime in the future but it seemed a good price for that one.

Graham

monty48
27-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Thanks Andrew,

I've heard nothing from Ben so I guess he sold it. I'm happy with the condition of mine & it has all the optional extras, having refurbed the wheels, fitted a accufab & had a new front bumper, radiator etc from my wifes accident in the summer, its pretty up together. I will super charge it at sometime in the future but it seemed a good price for that one.

Graham I am not suprised it's sold, think I have missed a a good car with that one but just had to keep the peace ( do wish I had not) but we all make mistakes !!

Andrew

jenksman
28-01-2012, 12:25 PM
I'll put my hand up. I was I.
I bought the ZT400 from the Parkers.
Your mail, Andrew, confirmed my own findings
It is a lovely car and the sellers appear genuine
I pick it up on Monday
I will be driving past chez Tony Bubble on the way back to Wales
An offer of a coffee would be acceptable Tony or you can wave to me
I am delighted to get it
Do you remember fitting the s/c Brian, apparently either you or one of your helpers travelled down to Plymouth and brought the car back to Scotland then did the return journey after the conversion
Regards
Dave

Grahamcfc
28-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Good Luck to you Dave, hope everything goes well with the car.

Graham

Tim
28-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Nice one Dave, can you let me have the details for the files. Might have to look at a double green :)

Most cost effective way to get a supercharged car. :)

I pick it up on Monday
I am delighted to get it
Do you remember fitting the s/c Brian, apparently either you or one of your helpers travelled down to Plymouth and brought the car back to Scotland then did the return journey after the conversion
Regards
Dave

colintf
28-01-2012, 12:54 PM
I pick it up on Monday
I am delighted to get it
Regards
Dave

Well done Dave :thumb

tonybubble
28-01-2012, 02:03 PM
I pick it up on Monday
I am delighted to get it
Regards Dave

Dave, You are very welcome to a cup of coffee, although you might have to put up with me being green with envy. ;)

jenksman
28-01-2012, 02:20 PM
Yes Tony that would be great
I reckon I"ll be going past you about 3:30 pm
Are you far from the motorway
Perhaps you could pm post code and tel no
Dave

Merl
28-01-2012, 02:47 PM
Well done Dave :)

Isn't that the 3rd one now? ;)

If you find the xpowers too loud I have some standard exhausts in the garage and some monetary compensation that could be offered as well ;)

jenksman
28-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Hi Merl
Third time lucky I hope
Still thinking about what to do with VIN 110 Starlight Siver SE with LPG conversion and 50,000 miles
Will keep you in mind re the Xpowers if they prove to be too noisy
When we met at Janspeed las April you had only just got your car back from Dreadnought. That day really impressed me, and it's taken me almost 10 months to catch up with you lot, (the s/c lot that is)
Best Regards
Dave
Best Regards
Dave

Merl
28-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Hi Merl
Third time lucky I hope
Still thinking about what to do with VIN 110 Starlight Siver SE with LPG conversion and 50,000 miles
When we met at Janspeed las April you had only just got your car back from Dreadnought. That day really impressed me, and it's taken me almost 10 months to catch up with you lot, (the s/c lot that is)
Best Regards
Dave
Best Regards
Dave

Fingers crossed!
That could be a tricky one and only you can decide that! I was going to say keep it for long journeys but once you have the SC one you will just want to keep using that ;)
Cheers, just drop me a pm or catch me at one of the meets if they do :)
Haha yeah it was a great day and mine just keeps getting better and better :) I have been tempted a few times though to go and get an MG R8 after talking to you... but not there yet!
Well better late than never ;)

Cheers
Martin

stevenw
29-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Congratulations on your purchase Dave.

In a way I'm glad it's been bought,if it was still available this weekend I would have gone to look at it and almost certainly putting an offer in.

That wouldn't have made me too popular with the other half as I've" got too many cars" already.

So, thank you on her behalf for buying it.

monty48
29-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Hi Merl
Third time lucky I hope
Best Regards
Dave
Best Regards
Dave Dave, Just thought I'd ask if you enquired or looked at the nightfire red 400 on auto trader, a lot more £ than the XPG but just thought you may have thought about it ?
Thanks Andrew

jenksman
29-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Dave, Just thought I'd ask if you enquired or looked at the nightfire red 400 on auto trader, a lot more £ than the XPG but just thought you may have thought about it ?
Thanks Andrew
You hit the nail there Andrew it was quite expensive
I looked at the ad when it was first mentioned on the Forum but decided it was a bit too much for me
Seems I was right to bide my time
Dave

monty48
29-01-2012, 08:25 PM
You hit the nail there Andrew it was quite expensive
I looked at the ad when it was first mentioned on the Forum but decided it was a bit too much for me
Seems I was right to bide my time
Dave Dave, Yes I think you were right to bide your time as the XPG car is very nice. May be the price will fall on it you never know - not that I am looking for a charged one over non charged. Looks like you have had one or two how do you think a charged is against non charged ?

ianq
29-01-2012, 09:53 PM
Fingers crossed!
That could be a tricky one and only you can decide that! I was going to say keep it for long journeys but once you have the SC one you will just want to keep using that ;)
Cheers, just drop me a pm or catch me at one of the meets if they do :)
Haha yeah it was a great day and mine just keeps getting better and better :) I have been tempted a few times though to go and get an MG R8 after talking to you... but not there yet!
Well better late than never ;)

Cheers
Martin

Guess you mean RV8? If you do, let me know if you would like some help there. I have helped at least a dozen prospective RV8 purchasers look at cars using mine as a benchmark. Had mine eight years now so kind of know my way around it.

scooter
30-01-2012, 02:09 PM
I pick it up on Monday
I am delighted to get it
Regards
Dave Remember the car Paul did both trips

Merl
30-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Guess you mean RV8? If you do, let me know if you would like some help there. I have helped at least a dozen prospective RV8 purchasers look at cars using mine as a benchmark. Had mine eight years now so kind of know my way around it.

Yeah the RV8 darn wireless keyboard! thought I caught all it's miss strokes. Cheers Ian :) will do. But currently I would probably have to sell the 400 as I really should refurbish the kitchen, bathroom and well the whole house really :(

Merl
30-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Remember the car Paul did both trips

I remember Paul telling me he had been all the way to Hampshire for one so Cheshire was easy!

jenksman
30-01-2012, 07:57 PM
I remember Paul telling me he had been all the way to Hampshire for one so Cheshire was easy!

Hi Martin
Didn't they teach geography at your school
Plymouth is in Devon
Car now safely back home in South Wales

jenksman
30-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Dave, Yes I think you were right to bide your time as the XPG car is very nice. May be the price will fall on it you never know - not that I am looking for a charged one over non charged. Looks like you have had one or two how do you think a charged is against non charged ?
Hi Andy
Need a few weeks to get a handle on this
Dave

colintf
30-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Hi Martin
Plymouth is in Devon

Hilarious! :thumb but I guess Martin's comment could be unrelated to the car which was located in Plymouth :cool:

monty48
30-01-2012, 08:59 PM
Hi Andy
Need a few weeks to get a handle on this
Dave Will look forward to any report as think could well have droped a large ball so to speak when I did not buy !

Merl
30-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Hi Martin
Plymouth is in Devon

Haha I can't believe I did that! I transfered to Portsmouth in Hampshire about 10 years ago and everyone said I had gone to Plymouth.... so I think that is where I got that from but in reverse!!

Though in my defense I did History at school and it was the History of Medicine with usefull things like Amputating a leg in under 2 minutes!! though that particular way could also mean the loss of some other body parts if you are a man...... Ok maybe not that usefull :~

jenksman
31-01-2012, 12:43 AM
Hi Martin
Don't mind me and my SOH
Can you tell me what petrol you use and what is recommended. I filled up with standard 91 on the way home, then reading the S/C advice sheet (American) it says "premium, minimum 91"
So I just wondered
Dave

Merl
31-01-2012, 12:50 AM
Hi Dave,
Haha I don't mind! got to be able to take it if you give it ;)
The dreadnought conversion was specifically designed to run on our standard 91. American Petrol is higher than ours as I think as their standard is our super?
But anyways standard and don't think I have noticed a difference using super.... well not that it feels faster etc... never really checked for fuel econmy...
Just treat it as a normal 260, except maybe check the levels of the SC oil and Coolant every couple of weeks, oil is a nightmare as its virtually clear.... The coolant is just your normal stuff.

Best way to check the SC oil level is to use a white kitchen towell (the paper ones) and put the dip stick against that to see where it marks

Hope that helps and feel free to ask any other questions.

Martin.

tonybubble
31-01-2012, 08:52 AM
Hi Martin
Plymouth is in Devon

That is one very nice car, Dave - beautiful sound too. Good to see you yesterday.

Merl
31-01-2012, 10:56 AM
That is one very nice car, Dave - beautiful sound too. Good to see you yesterday.

Shush Tony I'm after his x ;)

On a serious note can't wait to see her David and if Tony likes her she must be nice! It has gone to a very good home :)