PDA

View Full Version : So This Is Progress

2Diesels
26-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Front brakes done

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x150/2diesels/lorry%20pics/ZT%20260/IMG_0305.jpg

Headlight in

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x150/2diesels/lorry%20pics/ZT%20260/IMG_0312.jpg

Airbox replaced

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x150/2diesels/lorry%20pics/ZT%20260/IMG_0311.jpg

Just busy with the rear brakes now so hopefully a couple of tyres & a brake pipe & it should be fettled other than the paintwork which I might try & get sorted this coming week

ColinE
26-11-2011, 11:48 PM
What took you so long?????

:GMC:GMC:GMC

2Diesels
26-11-2011, 11:53 PM
Parcelforce:D:D:D

GeoffW
27-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Soon looking as good as new, I will get indicators out early this week

Herman
27-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Whilst the front is off, take of the snorkel from the air filter. No need for sucking in under bonnet hot air

ColinE
27-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Oh and wash out the washer bottle also, check for fouling cables, fit the second horn if you have one

In fact here's the complete list

Stainless mesh,
Indicator bulbs - change to Silvertec bulbs that so not show orange through the lens,
Washer bottle - clean,
Stainless bolts/screws - ones for the bottom of the bumper available from club shop,
Second horn,
Improve bumper/bonnet/wing gap,
Clean replace air filter
Fan resistor (depending on fan type)
Check for rubbing cables
Bonnet pull modification
Strip and regrease the bonnet catch receptacles

It's also worth checking that the ballast units behind the (xenon) headlamps are secure. They have been known to work free which leaves you with no light. They are expensive parts if you have to replace one and very hard to come by, so definitely worth checking

Herman
27-11-2011, 01:06 PM
Oh and wash out the washer bottle also, check for fouling cables, fit the second horn if you have one

In fact here's the complete list

Stainless mesh,
Indicator bulbs - change to Silvertec bulbs that so not show orange through the lens,
Washer bottle - clean,
Stainless bolts/screws - ones for the bottom of the bumper available from club shop,
Second horn,
Clean replace air filter
Check for rubbing cables
Bonnet pull modification

It's also worth checking that the ballast units behind the (xenon) headlamps are secure. They have been known to work free which leaves you with no light. They are expensive parts if you have to replace one and very hard to come by, so definitely worth checking

You got too much time on your hands :)

colintf
27-11-2011, 01:06 PM
good to see you making good progress :thumb

2Diesels
27-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Stainless mesh,
No
No
Washer bottle - clean,
Already very clean
Hmmm good idea
Second horn,
Yes
All part of the accident repairs
Clean replace air filter
Done
Working so will leave til broken
Check for rubbing cables
Got some stuff for that job
Bonnet pull modification
Did it on the way home from the scrapyard
On the list of jobs to do

2Diesels
27-11-2011, 09:22 PM
I've had such a game on with the handbrake today, suspect a snapped/semi snapped cable you can wind the adjuster wheels right up solid & the lever still travels through the sunroof & has absolutely no feel to it

Herman
27-11-2011, 09:28 PM
I've had such a game on with the handbrake today, suspect a snapped/semi snapped cable you can wind the adjuster wheels right up solid & the lever still travels through the sunroof & has absolutely no feel to it

That's why adjusting at the rear wheels is important. the cables won't snap, but the compensator is made of chocolate.

Give it a click at the lever and adjust at the wheels until they won't move by hand. That will sort it

2Diesels
27-11-2011, 09:37 PM
That's what I've already done & have done with many 75s & ZTs in the past with the perfect result but in this case the lever comes right up with no resistance, as I say even if you lock the rear adjustment up solid the lever is still floppy & lifeless, problem is whilst I'm pulling the lever I can't see what's going on at the back, I've looked down under the console & the thread length looks fine & the compensator pulls on the cables though not very evenly which leads me to suspect a snapped or at least stranded cable, I'll get an assistant & have a bit further investigation tomorrow

ColinE
27-11-2011, 09:46 PM
Colin (2Diesels) if you need cables it has now been confirmed by Xpart (and my own eyes) that the newly listed Handbrake Cable set from XPart - ZUA000860 does indeed include BOTH cables and not just the LH cable as listed on the Rimmers site

As others have said I'd change the compensator too

2Diesels
27-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Cheers Col

2Diesels
29-11-2011, 09:01 AM
Well I think we might have sussed the handbrake.............still not wonderful but at least it's now operational, I have it adjusted so it's just ever so slightly binding to hopefully rebed the shoes into the drums & I'll run it like that for a bit & then readjust it all, the compensator is fine & the cables nice & free but we discovered a lip on the shoes which I suspect was causing my problems, never really noticed on Sunday but by that time I was cold, tired & up to my bristols in muck so probably wasn't thinking straight

jenksman
29-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Have you read the thread about the handbrake compensator modification, it might be the answer to your problem

2Diesels
29-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Yeah but mine is ok no obvious wear or "stretch" but something to consider for the future though, I reckon once I've rebedded the shoes & nipped up the adjustment again it'll be fine

T16
05-12-2011, 05:20 PM
Hi,

Did you get a bumper sorted in the end?

I might have one spare (new) that I could let you have...?

2Diesels
06-12-2011, 08:31 AM
I did thanks, now all painted & ready to go on just need tyres & a tax disc & that's it done

2Diesels
06-12-2011, 02:35 PM
More bits arrived:D new aux drive belt & pollen filter, nobody here so I think I'll nip down & fit them now...............must remember a sheet of paper to draw that belt route on or it'll all go horribly wrong:D:D:D

2Diesels
06-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Pffff is that it? what am I gonna do the rest of the afternoon?:D:D

AndyG
06-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Here you are :

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1755&d=1306086369 (https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc260/html/f0rum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1755&d=1306086369)

2Diesels
06-12-2011, 03:04 PM
What's the red cross for is that cos you thought I'd nip me fingers in the belt tensioner?

AndyG
06-12-2011, 03:15 PM
What's the red cross for is that cos you thought I'd nip me fingers in the belt tensioner?

Does it not show the picture if you click on the box?

I have the same challenge with another post where there is not the picture but a small box with a red cross, which if I click on gives me the picture.

2Diesels
06-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Nah just says invalid attachment

2Diesels
06-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Actually is that not extended pedals & a spinner handle on the steering wheel?:GMC

AndyG
06-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Easy to change the belt innit?;)

The SC engine needs to remove the alternator to refit.

and on a hot engine burns someones hand :kiss

AndyG
06-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Nah just says invalid attachment

Bloody computers.

I will try to post it differently.

2Diesels
06-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Absolute doddle aye, if only the diesel was that easy........................I take it that was your hand?

Anyhoo must go, got a tachograph to calibrate:go

ColinE
06-12-2011, 06:17 PM
and on a hot engine burns someones hand :kiss

Ah that'd be mine then!

2Diesels
23-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Just when it all seemed to be sorted.......................finally after 3 weeks the correct powerwash jet finally landed on Wednesday so I got it fitted & stuck the bumper on only to notice through the bottom grille that the air filter had popped apart grrrrr so off it came again & got the airbox back together & refitted the bumper (was a better fit 2nd time round) anyhoo I pulled the car out into the yard yesterday to let a customer's vehicle out & then I went out delivering gas bottles but on returning to the yard I was gobsmacked..........the new bumper stands out like a sore thumb (someone mixed the wrong shade) so consequently it's all got to come apart again, oh well I suppose there's no hurry but I just want it finished now

colintf
23-12-2011, 04:12 PM
oh the joys of rescueing a 260 :thumb

WNJ516
23-12-2011, 05:01 PM
The cables are too long, you need to make a pair of spaceres to fit onto the cables before the backplate, this effectivly makes the cables shorter, i have 10mm of thread showing on my handbrake and it starts to be effective on notch 2, or buy new shorter cables.

2Diesels
23-12-2011, 08:47 PM
The cables are too long, you need to make a pair of spaceres to fit onto the cables before the backplate, this effectivly makes the cables shorter, i have 10mm of thread showing on my handbrake and it starts to be effective on notch 2, or buy new shorter cables.
Will that make the bumper match?:funny